History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Memorial Fountain at N end of Home Farm Driveway

A Grade II Listed Building in Rhuddlan, Denbighshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.2962 / 53°17'46"N

Longitude: -3.4332 / 3°25'59"W

OS Eastings: 304572

OS Northings: 378656

OS Grid: SJ045786

Mapcode National: GBR 4ZGB.J3

Mapcode Global: WH76G.7DDW

Entry Name: Memorial Fountain at N end of Home Farm Driveway

Listing Date: 10 November 1994

Last Amended: 10 November 1994

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 15009

Building Class: Commemorative

Location: Facing down the driveway to Bodrhyddan Home Farm and stables, approx. 80 metres from the entrance to the Home Farm from Ffordd Ffranc (the Dyserth Road).

County: Denbighshire

Community: Rhuddlan

Community: Rhuddlan

Locality: Bodrhyddan

Traditional County: Flintshire

Find accommodation in
Dyserth

History

Erected in 1959 to designs of Clough Williams-Ellis in collaboration with Lord Langford. The monument was designed to re-house parts of an earlier memorial fountain which had been erected in Rhyl in 1862.

Exterior

The monument consists of a coursed and squared rubble pylon, swept above a wider base raised up cobbled steps, with shallow pedimented head surmounted by a pelican. Raised cartouche with monogram towards the top, and basin supported by a baluster, with heraldic blackamoors head to tap set in cobbled niche with inscribed stone. This inscription records: ''This monument embodies part of another that stood for nearly a century at the North End of Rhyl High Street and which was erected by public subscription to commemorate the coming of age in 1862 of Conwy Grenville Hercules Rowley-Conwy. Removed by the Rhyl Council it is here perpetuated by his grandson Geoffrey Lord Langford in 1959. Clough Williams-Ellis, architect. Jonah Jones, sculptor''. The inscription plate from the original memorial is incorporated in the rear of the pylon, and records the original architect as T.M.Penson, the builder as W.Thomas.

Reasons for Listing

Included as an interesting and unusual memorial folly by a notable Welsh architect which also forms part of a group of buildings at Bodrhyydan Home Farm and Stables.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.