This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.1824 / 53°10'56"N
Longitude: -3.0219 / 3°1'18"W
OS Eastings: 331807
OS Northings: 365526
OS Grid: SJ318655
Mapcode National: GBR 74.3JGZ
Mapcode Global: WH88C.K87L
Entry Name: Glynne Cottage
Listing Date: 16 November 1994
Last Amended: 16 November 1994
Source ID: 15019
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Overlooking the park to the N, and secluded in its own grounds.
Community: Hawarden (Penarlâg)
Built-Up Area: Sandycroft
Traditional County: Flintshire
History: Built in 1872-3 for the unmarried daughters of the Reverend Henry Glynne, rector of Hawarden. It was purchased by the Hawarden estate in 1912.
A large brick and timber-framed gabled house on 2 storeys, in Victorian Tudor style. H plan. Medium-pitched tiled roof with brick chimneys with simple, moulded stone caps. Central, diagonally-set tripple chimneys. Red brick ground floor with projecting plinth capped in chamfered stone. Decorative timber-framing to first floor with ornately carved wooden string-course depicting birds and foliage. Advanced gables to L and R with ornately-carved barge-boards and string-course with zoomorphic interlace. L gable with lozenge-framing and wooden, 6-light mullioned and transomed window, stopped and chamfered and with moulded hood and cill brackets. R gable with off-set quatrefoil framing and window as before. To the L of centre a pointed-arched, chamfered entrance with recessed 6 panel door and decorative iron handle. Above this a cross-window beneath a small gable with barge-boards as before. Central section with zebra framing and 2 further cross-windows at first floor, equally spaced to the R. Large 12-light window to the R of the entrance. A canted bay of 6 and 2 lights to the ground floor of the L gable. 8-light cross windows to that of the R, with a 12-light bay on its E return.
N front with gabled cross wings to L and R with detailing as before. Large square tower projecting outwards to R with first floor decorative framing as before. Helm roof with N-facing gablet and decorative weathervane. Off-set entrance with shouldered and chamfered head.
Adjoining coach house to W, now modernised as garage.
Interior: Contemporary pine joinery throughout with panelled, chamfered doors. Well staircase with highly-carved foliate scroll-work and ball finials to chamfered and stopped newel posts. Ornately carved stone fireplaces in main ground-floor rooms with zoomorphic detail in the spandrels and Gothic glazed tiles.
A lavishly-detailed and complete mid-Victorian grange.
Other nearby listed buildings