This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.1619 / 53°9'42"N
Longitude: -3.1772 / 3°10'37"W
OS Eastings: 321388
OS Northings: 363400
OS Grid: SJ213634
Mapcode National: GBR 6Y.4W5C
Mapcode Global: WH775.5S9D
Entry Name: Plas Hafod
Listing Date: 12 December 1994
Last Amended: 12 December 1994
Source ID: 15260
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Located off Hafod Road to the W, set in its own park and approached via a private drive.
Traditional County: Flintshire
A small late Georgian country house of the early C19. Square main block and attached contemporary and later service ranges to rear, forming a rough T-plan. Rough-cast stone construction with a shallow- pitched hipped roof of slate-stone, with oversailing eaves. 2-storey, 3 window near-symmetrical main (SE) elevation. Recessed 12-pane sashes with projecting stone cills to first floor. Centrally-placed classical stone porch, probably a mid-C19 addition. Entrance with shouldered architrave and pediment. Flanking twin Doric pilasters, moulded cornice and flat lead roof. Recessed 4-panel door. To the left a tripartite 20-pane sash window. To the right the original (12-pane) window has been removed and a modern conservatory is now in this position, continuing around the R (NE) side. 2 rendered stacks, that to the right larger and with exposed brick upper courses. Further modern additions to the NE side including a half-octagonal single-storey porch with projecting square entrance bay. 12-pane sashes to upper storey as before. To the N a single-storey 6-window modern extension.
To the rear a 4-bay 2-storey gabled service wing with off-centre brick stack and cusped, decorative bargeboards to W gable face. The 2 western-mostbays were added in the mid C19. Near-flush
12-pane sashes to the first floor, those to the W smaller. Large cart entrance to left with contemporary boarded doors and camberedhead. Entrance to right with cambered head and boarded, recessed
door. To the right, in the infill between the rear of the main house and the service range, a C19 single-storey glazed porch with a further modern glazed extension in front.
Interior: Full-height hall with single-flight stone stairs to a balustraded upper landing under a wide segmental arch. Swept stair rail with scroll end and columnar support. Stick balusters, mostly of pine, though of iron where tied into the steps. Round- arched service entrance at the end of the hall with fluted pilasters and simple Y-tracery fan. Ceiling with simple plaster cornice with squared foliate bosses to corners. Contemporary reeded doorcases to hall with foliate bosses to squared corners
that to the L with contemporary 6-panel door. Within, panelled window shutters and fluted pilasters to depressed arches flanking a central fireplace. That to the left is blind; that to the right with recessed door as before. Contemporary wooden chimney-piece with decorative cornice, egg-and-dart ornament and a frieze with swags and a central urn.
Included as a well balanced Regency house retaining several contemporary features.
Other nearby listed buildings