History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Former School-room to rear of chapel

A Grade II Listed Building in Blaenavon, Torfaen

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7734 / 51°46'24"N

Longitude: -3.084 / 3°5'2"W

OS Eastings: 325299

OS Northings: 208862

OS Grid: SO252088

Mapcode National: GBR F2.ZKN6

Mapcode Global: VH79C.HPFC

Entry Name: Former School-room to rear of chapel

Listing Date: 9 February 1995

Last Amended: 9 February 1995

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 15269

Building Class: Education

Location: Situated towards the top of Broad Street, on the corner with George Street.

County: Torfaen

Community: Blaenavon (Blaenafon)

Community: Blaenavon

Built-Up Area: Blaenavon

Traditional County: Monmouthshire

Find accommodation in
Blaenavon

History

Dated 1888.

Exterior

Classical 3-bay gable facade, rendered with stone dressings; slate roof. Pilasters divide each bay to ground floor and gallery. All openings have semi- circular, moulded stone arches, with chamfered jambs. Windows have angled stone sills. Flight of steps to ground floor entrance with three narrow doorways. Panelled, glass and wooden double doors are set back. Each has a semi-circular fanlight with stained glass. A stained glass window is to either side of the entrance, with pilaster architraves. The sills are supported with pairs of console brackets. A string course links the keystones of the doors and windows and forms the base of the entablature with dentilated cornice. The first floor has triparite central window with pedimented keystone and pilaster jambs. To either side is a window with pilaster jambs and similarly pedimented keystone. Above this, a panel with curvilinear decoration and the date 1888 in relief. There is also the remains of the original name of the chapel. Above this an entablature marks the beginning of the roof pitch. A simple wooden barge board under the verges is supported by four brackets. At its apex is a semi-circular opening.

The return facade has five bays on two storeys, rendered with a dressed stone plinth. All openings have the outline of keystone and arch traced into render. The ground floor has one door and five windows, each with cambered arch and stone sills with pair of brackets. The gallery floor has five semi-circular windows with angled stone sills.

Added school-room at the rear is of rubble stone construction, with dressed stone quoins and slate roof. Openings have cambered arches in brick and the windows have angled stone sills.

Interior

Although the interior retains many original fitments it has lost its pews. Iron columns with gold painted spiral decoration support the gallery with its pierced ironwork balustrades. The gallery is reached via the twin staircases off the entrance vestibule. The pulpit is retained.

Reasons for Listing

Listed as a prominent later 19th century town centre chapel.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.