This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.1135 / 52°6'48"N
Longitude: -3.1109 / 3°6'39"W
OS Eastings: 324024
OS Northings: 246712
OS Grid: SO240467
Mapcode National: GBR F1.8YTS
Mapcode Global: VH77T.147M
Plus Code: 9C4R4V7Q+9J
Entry Name: Cabalva House
Listing Date: 31 January 1995
Last Amended: 31 January 1995
Source ID: 15326
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Set in its own grounds and reached via a private drive off a now by-passed section of the old A438. Approximately 4km north-east of Clyro with broad views to east over the Wye valley.
Community: Clyro (Cleirwy)
Traditional County: Radnorshire
Sub-medieval origins, probably early C17, with early C19 neo-classical enlargement and further later C19 remodelling. On the site of a former grange to Abbey Cwmhir and also said to have been a coaching inn.
Small country house with complex plan and three principal blocks. Rubble and cement rendered elevations, slate roofs and red brick chimney stacks; 2-storeys and attic. The main front to north-west is composed of ranges of several phases. Starting with the principal block which is to the extreme right; 2-storey C19 addition with wave-moulded bargeboards to paired gables; 12-pane sash windows of which those to the ground floor are taller. To the left of that is the central porch with round-arched entrance and fine doorway with reeded surround and fanlight. Stepped back to left is a tall, 15-pane stair window with pointed arched glazing bars, pair of attic dormers beyond, with similar bargeboards. Projecting gable to left with 6-pane door and lean-to. Stepped right down to north-east is the 2-storey range with sub-medieval origins and a stone chimney stack heightened in yellow brick. Externally the only significant indication of these early origins is the small, exposed, timber that appears to be part of the blade of a cruck truss; the slightly stepped forward cement-rendered upper storey could indicate that the original building here was a jettied cruck-framed hall house. There is a parallel range behind with a gable facing to front. The extreme left end has been modernised but retains some C19 leaded lights. Long garden front, stepped up to either end and gabled with similar wave-pattern detail. Near-flush small-pane sashes including paired windows to right and triple windows to left with reeded surrounds; splayed bay to ground floor left. Gable ends have similar windows and that to south-west has a rubble buttress.
Entrance is onto an unusual domical entrance hall with pendentives in the manner of Sir John Soane, architect of the Bank of England and a foliated band to base. Well-detailed neo-classical main rooms have marble chimneypieces and 6-panel doors with fine doorcases enriched with reeding and bosses; variety of classical cornices. The dining-room has two fluted Corinthian columns framing a recess. Broad openwell main staircase rises to left of the hall and has S-shaped tread ends, scrolled newel and straight balusters; at the 1st floor landing there are two small internal windows with patterned glazing lighting the laundry room and another service room. The sub-medieval origins of the house are found internally at the rear where there are broach-stopped ceiling beams to the ground floor and hollow and fillet-stopped beams to the 1st floor; one bedroom also has reused dado-panelling probably from elsewhere in the house.
Graded II* for its largely unaltered earlier C19 classical interior.
Group value with the Stables at Cabalva House.
Other nearby listed buildings