History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Lower Hengoed

A Grade II Listed Building in Gladestry, Powys

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1733 / 52°10'23"N

Longitude: -3.1324 / 3°7'56"W

OS Eastings: 322657

OS Northings: 253387

OS Grid: SO226533

Mapcode National: GBR F0.5CMX

Mapcode Global: VH69Y.NMDT

Entry Name: Lower Hengoed

Listing Date: 31 January 1995

Last Amended: 31 January 1995

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 15340

Building Class: Domestic

Location: Lies 1.6 km SE of Gladestry on E side of Gladestry to Newchurch Road.

County: Powys

Community: Gladestry (Llanfair Llythynwg)

Community: Gladestry

Traditional County: Radnorshire

Find accommodation in
Gladestry

Exterior

Late medieval or sub-medieval cruck framed hall-house with storeyed end; C18/C19 remodelling including raising of roof at south east end and adding dairy/service lean-to's to rear. Two storeys, rendered, slate roofs, two end stacks and central ridge stack. Timber lean-to porch, C19/C20 casement windows. Richly moulded four-panel, raised and fielded front door.

Interior

Substantial remains of original structure including two full cruck trusses, one a closed truss between the hall and the storeyed end, the other an arch-braced central cruck with quatrefoil and trefoil cusping and soffit moulding. There are also remains of the north end cruck. The trusses are smoke-blackened with butted apex and notched lap jointed collar. Some smoke-blackened purlins also survive. Much of the original rear wall framing survives in large square panels. Part of the original ceiling at the storeyed end is exposed and consists of close-set deep chamfered joists of heavy section with straight cut stops. The former hall bays are ceiled with thinnish scroll stopped beams. An inserted stack has been built up against the central cruck and is incorporated into a stone wall running the width of the house. Other later features include four-panel and six-panel doors and a simple stair with squared newel and stick balusters.

Reasons for Listing

Included primarily for the major surviving timber frame and allied internal features from the medieval hill-house. Group value with cruck frame barn to SW.

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Barn at Lower Hengoed
    Lies alongside road to SW of house.
  • II Upper Llanbella
    Lies 2.4km SE of Gladestry and close to by-road junction 1 mile W of Huntington.
  • II L-Plan Range at Cwm Farm
    Lies immediately to SW of the house.
  • II Cwm Farmhouse
    Lies 1.2 km SW of Gladestry, below Glan-yr-afon Wood.
  • II* Stone House
    Elevated position 800m SE of Gladestry. The first Radnorshire property to be acquired by James Watt. He purchased it in 1798 from Thomas Harley of Berrington Hall.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.