This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.7208 / 52°43'14"N
Longitude: -4.0511 / 4°3'3"W
OS Eastings: 261566
OS Northings: 315653
OS Grid: SH615156
Mapcode National: GBR 8T.1M5Y
Mapcode Global: WH56L.RW32
Entry Name: ,5,St George's Terrace,Old Barmouth,,GWYNEDD,LL42 1BN
Listing Date: 31 January 1995
Last Amended: 31 January 1995
Source ID: 15476
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated towards the top of the old town, beneath Rock Cottages whose terrace wall it is built against; enclosed to the SE by a high walled garden.
Community: Barmouth (Bermo)
Locality: Old Barmouth
Built-Up Area: Barmouth
Traditional County: Merionethshire
The cottage was originally one of the 13 St. George's Guild Cottages which formerly served a community founded by John Ruskin. From 1871 Ruskin published his socialist theories in a series of letters - the Fors Clavigera - which were addressed to 'the working men of England'. In that year he founded the Guild of St George, 'a society established to carry out certain charitable acts', and the community at Barmouth was his first social experiment. It was made possible by the donation in 1874 of the land and cottages by Mrs Talbot of Tyn-y-Fynnon, a friend of Ruskin's and a sympathiser with his beliefs.
An early C19 rubble-built cottage with late C19 alterations. On one-and-a-half storeys with slate roof hipped to the NE; plain end chimney to SW with weather coursing. 2 small C20 skylights to front- facing roof pitch. Plain entrance front facing NW with advanced projection to L and an adjacent, slightly recessed boarded door; 2-pane rectangular fan above. 2 window rear (garden) face with late C19 fenestration; 4-pane recessed casement to ground floor with, to the R, an entrance obscured by a modern corrugated plastic extension. 2 gabled dormers above with 4-pane recessed casements breaking the eaves; triangular top-lights and plain bargeboards.
The best-preserved cottage which belonged to Ruskin's guild and consequently of considerable socio-historic interest.
Other nearby listed buildings