This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.6911 / 52°41'27"N
Longitude: -4.046 / 4°2'45"W
OS Eastings: 261812
OS Northings: 312343
OS Grid: SH618123
Mapcode National: GBR 8T.3GFZ
Mapcode Global: WH56S.TMH9
Plus Code: 9C4QMXR3+CH
Entry Name: Hen-Ddol Farmhouse including attached Outbuilding to N Ffordd Henddol
Listing Date: 1 February 1995
Last Amended: 1 February 1995
Source ID: 15595
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Located prominently on the lane and at right-angles with Fford Panteinion.
Built-Up Area: Friog
Traditional County: Merionethshire
Late C17/early C18 farmhouse. Site of a notorious siege and shoot-out on 22 July 1780 when Owen Owens, the Deputy Sherrif and a party of bailiffs went to arrest David Williams, the owner, for smuggling goods to the value of ú200; Owens and two of the bailifs were wounded, the former seriously: `Williams fixed upon his house the English colours and defied the beseigers.' Williams was finally taken after further assistance was sought.
One-and-a-half storeys with 3-window front; of whitened rubble with slate roof. Gable parapets with overlapping slate coping and end chimneys with weather coursing, that to the R
projecting slightly and with wide gable. Near-centre entrance with slightly recessed boarded door; flanking windows with appropriate modern 6-pane casements. Similar 4-pane casements above, contained within rubble gabled dormers and breaking the eaves. Modern sky-light to rear roof pitch and later catslide rubble extension.
Adjoining to the L, and stepped-down slightly, a near-contemporary single-storey rubble byre; old slate roof to front and corrugated iron to rear roof pitch. Off-centre entrance (R) with projecting slate lintel and C20 boarded door; vertical ventilation slit to L. Later rubble extension advanced to L and stepped-down, with corrugated iron roof.
It was not possible to inspect the interior.
Listed as a good vernacular farmhouse retaining C17/18 character and with an interesting historical association.
Other nearby listed buildings