This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.634 / 52°38'2"N
Longitude: -3.1243 / 3°7'27"W
OS Eastings: 324005
OS Northings: 304620
OS Grid: SJ240046
Mapcode National: GBR B1.71H1
Mapcode Global: WH79W.Z2D1
Plus Code: 9C4RJVMG+H7
Entry Name: Iron Gate and Gate Piers at NW entrance to Leighton Hall
Listing Date: 24 December 1982
Last Amended: 20 March 1998
Source ID: 15626
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Located approximately 1.3km SSW of Leighton church and situated on a private drive to the hall E of B4388.
Community: Forden with Leighton and Trelystan (Ffordun gyda Tre'r-llai a Threlystan)
Community: Forden with Leighton and Trelystan
Locality: Leighton Park
Traditional County: Montgomeryshire
Early 1850s at the principal entrance to Leighton Hall. Leighton Hall was built 1850-56 by the Liverpool architect W.H. Gee for John Naylor. Naylor, a Liverpool banker, had acquired the Leighton Estate in 1846-47 and embarked on an ambitious programme of building, notably the church, Leighton Hall and Leighton Farm, all designed by Gee and completed by the mid 1850s. He continued to extend and improve the Estate until his death in 1889. His grandson, Captain J.M. Naylor, sold Leighton Hall and the Estate in 1931.
Wrought iron gate with cast iron piers. The piers are formed of 2 tiers of open tracery with square bases and octagonal caps. The gate is formed of 4 bays of round arches with inset trefoils and with fleur de lys finials, beneath which are railings with similar finials.
The Leighton Estate is an exceptional example of high-Victorian estate development. It is remarkable for the scale and ambition of its conception and planning, the consistency of its design, the extent of its survival, and is the most complete example of its type in Wales. The gate and gate piers are a good example of mid C19 ironwork and, together with the main entrance and lodges, are an integral component of the group of buildings which contribute to the setting of Leighton Hall, the centrepiece of the Leighton Estate.
Other nearby listed buildings