This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.8371 / 51°50'13"N
Longitude: -4.1312 / 4°7'52"W
OS Eastings: 253261
OS Northings: 217535
OS Grid: SN532175
Mapcode National: GBR DP.VHXV
Mapcode Global: VH4J7.B3V0
Plus Code: 9C3QRVP9+RG
Entry Name: Clearbrook Lodge and Meadow Cottage (at Clearbrook)
Listing Date: 22 July 1992
Last Amended: 29 March 2000
Source ID: 15629
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Midway between Porthyrhyd and Llanarthney, 1km SE of Middleton Hall, outside the park perimeter road. The converted stable and coach house building is reached by a private drive to the south of Clearb
Community: Llanarthney (Llanarthne)
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
Two cottages formed from the stable and coach-house of Clearbrook. The mansion is said to have been a dower house of Middleton Hall, and was a large cottage orné built at a date between 1831 and 1847 by E H Adams. It remained for a period in the occupation of Adams descendants, who took the name Abadam.
The stable and coach-house building was probably contemporary with Clearbrook. The stable (now the right hand dwelling) formerly contained 4 stalls (latterly 2); the design paid particular attention to ventilation including one flue that rose up through the stanchion. The loft stairs were to the centre and a tackroom was sited to the rear. The building is now occupied as two dwellings. When first listed the left part, based on the C19 coachman's cottage, was called Meadow Cottage. the second dwelling, formed in the right part since that date, is called Clearbrook Lodge.
2-storey estate building in simple picturesque manner. Distinctive broad and symmetrical rubble front, formerly whitewashed; hipped slate roof with wide boarded eaves. Cambered carriage arch to centre has inward curving jambs and brick voussoirs; other openings to front have freestone voussoirs. Above is a tall, semicircular-headed, former loft opening; this is contained within an attic gable, slate-hung to sides and with wave moulded bargeboards and pendant finial. Either side are small wheel windows over acutely pointed ground floor window openings containing square-headed casements. The carriage arch is filled with a four-panel semi-glazed screen incorporating double doors; the loft opening above has two similar panels with a fanlight. Radial glazing bars in the wheel windows; transom and two casements in the pointed windows. Two-window side elevations both in rubble, with quoins, restored boarded door and yellow brick window surrounds; restored tripartite sash windows. The rear elevation is a simplified repeat of the front, restored, rendered and painted cream. Low rear yard enclosure wall also rendered and painted.
Listed as an unusual early- to mid-C19 estate building, retaining elements of original character notwithstanding conversion.
Other nearby listed buildings