This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.0896 / 52°5'22"N
Longitude: -3.9789 / 3°58'44"W
OS Eastings: 264516
OS Northings: 245315
OS Grid: SN645453
Mapcode National: GBR DW.BKPJ
Mapcode Global: VH4GY.ZRC0
Entry Name: Church of St David
Listing Date: 23 June 1967
Last Amended: 6 September 2002
Source ID: 15637
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: In a walled churchyard on the E side of a minor road approximately 1.1km NE of Ffaldybrenin and 0.7km NW of Farmers.
Community: Llanycrwys (Llan-crwys)
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
A medieval church restored in the mid C19 and restored again in 1891-2 by Ewan Christian, architect of London, at which date most of the extant furnishings were installed. Windows are all C19. The porch was added c1900.
A simple Early-English style church comprising nave and chancel under a single roof, W porch and N vestry. Of rubble stone, and slate roof behind coped gable to the W end, with overhanging eaves and W bellcote. The S wall is battered, while the remaining walls are battered only at the base. The S wall has a central 2-light geometrical window, a single-light window to the L and small cusped light to the chancel on the R. The E window, of 1891-2, comprises 3 stepped lights. The N vestry, under an outshut roof with tall octagonal stone stack to the E side, has a 2-light square-headed W window. On the E side of the vestry is a lean-to coal shed beneath a single chancel light with shallow trefoil head. Otherwise the N wall has only a single small square-headed light towards the E end. The porch is of snecked stone with timber-framing to the gable. The W door has a single ovolo moulding, hood mould, and double boarded doors. Over the porch is a single lancet. The gabled bellcote has a round-headed opening for a single bell.
Nave and chancel have a continuous roof of closely-spaced rafters with collars and diagonal struts. A C19 rood beam marks the separation of nave from chancel. In the nave N wall is a doorway to the vestry and a doorway at higher level to its R, both medieval and giving access via stairs to the medieval rood loft.
The square font bowl is medieval and retains its lead lining, but stands on a C20 stone pedestal and base. Plain pews were installed in 1891, as was the polygonal pulpit with blind panels below open cusped ogee arches. The wooden communion rail is on twisted brass balusters.
Listed as a church with substantial medieval fabric and retaining definite character following C19 restorations.
Other nearby listed buildings