This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.8236 / 51°49'24"N
Longitude: -3.0093 / 3°0'33"W
OS Eastings: 330537
OS Northings: 214369
OS Grid: SO305143
Mapcode National: GBR F6.W662
Mapcode Global: VH796.SFHC
Plus Code: 9C3RRXFR+C7
Entry Name: Rectangular Shelter in the grounds of Pen-y-fal
Listing Date: 15 June 1992
Last Amended: 10 November 2005
Source ID: 15759
Building Class: Gardens, Parks and Urban Spaces
Location: Between the main (south-west) elevation of Pen-y-fal Apartments and the drive. Surrounded by lawns near the main entrance approach.
Community: Abergavenny (Y Fenni)
Built-Up Area: Abergavenny
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
Contemporary with the early C20 expansion of the hospital (qv Pen-y-fal Apartments) which was first built in the mid C19 as the Joint County Lunatic Asylum. Considerable new building was done here in 1901-4 and 1910 designed by Edward Johnson. Public Health Acts and reforms had created the requirement to provide institutionalised people with the opportunity for outdoor recreation. These shelters are probably prefabricated designs bought from a catalogue. They were commonly provided in Asylums at this time and were also used in all kinds of public parks and promenades.
Spa or seaside style rectangular timber shelter with gabled roof, covered with new broadly corrugated steel sheeting and with ironwork cresting. Each side has three cambered openings, broader and full height to centre; otherwise boarded below and mullioned openings above on the long sides. Pillars dividing the bays have guttae and fluting. Planked benches to seating areas on all four sides.
Included for group value with Pen-y-Fal Hospital and the associated historic items.
Other nearby listed buildings