History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Tanygroes Calvinistic Methodist Chapel including Forecourt Walls and Railings

A Grade II Listed Building in Penbryn, Ceredigion

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.116 / 52°6'57"N

Longitude: -4.5059 / 4°30'21"W

OS Eastings: 228516

OS Northings: 249376

OS Grid: SN285493

Mapcode National: GBR D6.8T47

Mapcode Global: VH2MR.V28N

Entry Name: Tanygroes Calvinistic Methodist Chapel including Forecourt Walls and Railings

Listing Date: 20 June 1995

Last Amended: 20 June 1995

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 16097

Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary

Location: Situated in village on N side of A 487.

County: Ceredigion

Community: Penbryn

Community: Penbryn

Locality: Tanygroes

Traditional County: Cardiganshire

Find accommodation in
Penbryn

History

1849 Calvinistic Methodist chapel remodelled internally 1882.

Exterior

Squared Pwntan sandstone with slate roof. Gable front with pediment outlined by raised strip, with projecting pieces at each end, each on two console brackets. Plain roundel in pediment. Front with two close-spaced long arched windows, two long arched gallery lights, slightly shorter, over two doors below with flat heads. Recessed cut sandstone voussoirs to all openings, windows have 1849 small-paned hornless sashes with radiating-bar heads, doors have C20 doors and overlights. Centre plaque is rectangular, in scroll-pedimented sandstone frame, and reads "Tanygroes a Adeiladwyd gan y Trefnyddion Calfinaidd yn y flwyddyn 1849 a helaethwyd 1882". Two-storey, two-window sides with cambered-headed 12-pane sashes below and arched sashes above, cut stone voussoirs. Two-storey, two-window rear with louvred arched gable opening.
Front court is enclosed to front and E by low iron railings on slate-coped low walls. Two painted Cilgerran stone piers with cross-gabled caps and double iron gates. Outer sandstone piers with similar caps.

Interior

Of 1882, pulpit backing on entry wall. Three-sided gallery on fluted iron columns, curved corners, long horizontal panels with narrow strips of pierced cast-iron and pilasters with arched panels between. Fretwork cornice over columns. Three-sided pulpit with steps up and front fretwork panels. Narrow plaster arch behind pulpit. Panelled great seat. Plaster ceiling with centre rose, diagonal ribs and four corner square ventilators.

Reasons for Listing

Included for good front elevation in the local stone, quarried in Tanygroes. The elevation is of the early-mid C19 lateral facade type, but here combined with a gable, suggesting a transition between the side-wall and end-wall types.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Milestone on A487 1Km NE of Tanygroes
    Situated on S side of road on Staggered junction with lanes to Brongest and Tresaith.
  • II Rhyd Isaf
    Just off the N side of the A487, alongside a lane leaving the main road at an angle, on the edge of a small cluster of houses, some 1km east of the main settlement of Blaenporth.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.