This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.0776 / 52°4'39"N
Longitude: -3.9075 / 3°54'26"W
OS Eastings: 269374
OS Northings: 243852
OS Grid: SN693438
Mapcode National: GBR DZ.CCDG
Mapcode Global: VH4H6.713N
Plus Code: 9C4R33HV+22
Entry Name: Range forward to right of Pant-Coy
Listing Date: 2 August 1995
Last Amended: 2 August 1995
Source ID: 16249
Building Class: Agriculture and Subsistence
Location: Situated on S side of Cothi Valley alongside long lane leading from Cwrt-y-cadno to Pen-twyn.
Community: Cynwyl Gaeo
Community: Cynwyl Gaeo
Locality: Cwrt y Cadno
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
Late C19 cottage formed from earlier farm building. Previous house, located a short distance away, burnt down in 1839. The right-hand chimney wall is an insertion, as is the parlour chimney and the fenestration. Present arrangement indicated on 1841 Tithe Map. Owned in 1840 by the Earl of Cawdor, later became part of the Dolaucothi estate. Home of John Harries (1785-1839) and Henry Harries (1816-1862), wizards, soothsayers and conjurers, well known throughout South Wales.
House with agricultural range attached. Colourwashed rubble 3-bay 2-storey elevation to house, slate roof and slated barge to left. Brick chimney stacks, thicker to right. Central boarded door, brick cambered head. Flanking late C19 three 2-pane horned sashes, three similar windows to first floor, brick cambered heads, slate sills. Blocked doorway to right, stone voussoired cambered head-probably a survivor from the earlier building. Left end with two ground floor C20 windows. Later rear full-length outshut, C20 door and glazing.
Range forward to right: Contemporary, lower rubble agricultural range attached at right angles. Slate roof hipped to rear angle, wooden soffits, slated barge. Cart entry to left, stone voussoired cambered head, three doors to right (to former cow-house) similar heads, (stable type door to centre). Two-light casement to first floor rising to eaves, cast iron latticed glazing, loop to right. Rear with upper 4-pane fixed window to right rising to eaves, C20 window below. Loop to left. Unusual plan-form to range consisting of uphill stable against house, entered only from within central cart-house: downslope cow-house.
House with late C19 detail, enclosed stair, wide planked doors. Fine cobbled floor in uppermost stable next to house, boarded over for residential use.
Attractive former smallholding in beautiful setting with unusual building history and important social history.
Other nearby listed buildings