This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.5934 / 52°35'36"N
Longitude: -3.218 / 3°13'4"W
OS Eastings: 317587
OS Northings: 300205
OS Grid: SJ175002
Mapcode National: GBR 9X.9NDR
Mapcode Global: WH7B1.J2TP
Plus Code: 9C4RHQVJ+9Q
Entry Name: Stable Block at Vaynor Park
Listing Date: 21 August 1995
Last Amended: 21 August 1995
Source ID: 16401
Building Class: Domestic
Community: Berriew (Aberriw)
Traditional County: Montgomeryshire
Late C18 drawings of the house at Vaynor show 2 brick garden pavilions with hipped roofs at the outer corners of the W courtyard: these buildings appear to form the nucleus of the stables which were largely the work of Thomas Penson, 1840-53. The central gable over the archway was then added by S.Pountney Smith, architect, of Shrewsbury, in 1853.
Brick with stone dressings and slate roof surmounted by a timber and lead cupola. 2 storeys, 7 bays, with advanced shaped central gable over entrance arch, and similar gables to each return elevation. This has architrave with Gibbs surround, and shallow voussoir arch. Entablature carried forward over piers, carrying draped urns. Above the arch is a tripartite window, its stone pedimented architrave brought forward from the wall-line. Outer bays have 2-light stone mullioned windows in splayed architraves. Steep dormer gables to advanced panels corbelled out for central first floor windows, their gable copings surmounted by ball finials. Plain brick string course between the storeys. Return elevation to left has 3 segmental carriage arches to ground floor, and 3-light mullioned window in stone pedimented architrave flanked by oculi above. Paired stable doors off the central passageway through the building: the stables largely retain their C19 fittings.
The stables are linked to the house on the NW side by a high brick wall with raking copings.
Listed as an excellent largely C19 stable range incorporating earlier buildings, richly detailed in a Renaissance Revival style, and a highly important part of the ensemble of buildings at Vaynor Park.
Other nearby listed buildings