This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.0532 / 53°3'11"N
Longitude: -3.0385 / 3°2'18"W
OS Eastings: 330487
OS Northings: 351169
OS Grid: SJ304511
Mapcode National: GBR 74.CLDL
Mapcode Global: WH88Y.9JB5
Entry Name: Higher Berse Farmhouse
Listing Date: 26 October 1995
Last Amended: 26 October 1995
Source ID: 16457
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Higher Berse Road runs to the N of and parallel to the A525 on the E side of Coedpoeth; the farm is towards the E of the community, close to New Broughton.
Community: Coedpoeth (Coed-poeth)
Locality: Higher Berse
Traditional County: Denbighshire
The house is dated on rainwater heads 1815 and appears to be entirely of this date. There had been a house here since at least the mid C15 (owned by the Puleston family, and subsequently by the Drelincourts of Berse Drelincort), but it was acquired by the Plas Power estate in 1814, and immediately rebuilt. The initials on the rainwater heads may be those of Thomas Fitzhugh.
Main front is tooled ashlar, the rest roughly coursed and squared rubble; hipped slate roof with bold overhang to eaves, brick end wall and rear stacks. 2 storeys, deep pile plan, with 3 window entrance front facing S. This has full-height recessed central arch housing doorway in reeded pedimented architrave, with interlace fanlight to 6-panelled door. Above it is a wide 12-pane sash window with cambered stone lintel. Similar windows in the outer bays have wedge lintels. Ground floor windows are 6-pane sashes. Return elevation to W has casement windows of 2 and 3-lights set towards rear of first floor; doorway and 3-light small-paned mullioned and transomed window towards rear. Rear elevation has central doorway with y-traceried window over it, in tall round-arched architrave. E return has 3-light small-paned mullioned and transomed windows.
Central entrance hall with principle rooms facing S. The hall is divided by a wide segemental archway with radial fanlight over door in moulded architrave, with the staircase set to the rear of the house. The house retains much of its contemporary detail, with plaster ceiling cornices and joinery including plain spindle stair with scrolled tread-ends, panelled doors and window shutters.
A fine example of an early C19 gentry farmhouse, retaining a high degree of integrity.
Other nearby listed buildings