This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.6631 / 52°39'47"N
Longitude: -3.1376 / 3°8'15"W
OS Eastings: 323158
OS Northings: 307870
OS Grid: SJ231078
Mapcode National: GBR B0.5B63
Mapcode Global: WH79P.SB38
Plus Code: 9C4RMV76+6X
Entry Name: 2 Waterloo Terrace
Listing Date: 11 March 1981
Last Amended: 29 February 1996
Source ID: 16707
Building Class: Commercial
Location: Forms the W side of Waterloo Place, with the return range to Salop Road.
Community: Welshpool (Y Trallwng)
Built-Up Area: Welshpool
Traditional County: Montgomeryshire
Built c1835 as part of a single development which also included Bodowen. Together these buildings appear to have formed a small planned development associated with the Welshpool Company Flannel Factory (later the Powysland Mills), which lay immediately to the S. The factory was established in 1835, closed in 1900, and was demolished in 1930.
Nos 1-4 Waterloo Place are local ashlar, slate roof with brick axial stacks. 2 storeys, 8-window range comprising 2 houses to either side of a central passage way. Symmetrically planned with 2-unit houses at either end (that to right incorporating a shop), and single-unit houses to centre of the row, their doorways to either side of the round arched passage entry. Doorways throughout have 6-panelled doors with overlights in moulded architraves with cornice hoods. 16-pane sash windows with painted sills; blind windows over the doors of the outer premises. Shop in right hand unit has 2-light mid C19 shop window with small panes and moulded architrave. Return elevation to Salop Road is also 2 storeys, 9-window range comprising 3 houses and a shop-front (the return range of the shop in Waterloo Place). Brick with full-height pilasters to either side of doorways. Hipped slate roof with end wall stacks, and oversailing eaves. The continuation of the shop to the left of the terrace has doorway flanked by late C19 shop windows to ground floor, and 16-pane sash windows above with painted gauged brick heads. Similar sash window on each floor to the left. Nos 1-3 each also have central entrance, flanked by 2-pane sash windows on each floor. No 3 retains its original 6-panelled door, and all entrances have panelled architraves.
The houses represent a coherently designed and well detailed group of particular interest for their association with the former flannel factory, as part of a planned development connected with it.
Other nearby listed buildings