This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.7024 / 52°42'8"N
Longitude: -3.1001 / 3°6'0"W
OS Eastings: 325759
OS Northings: 312201
OS Grid: SJ257122
Mapcode National: GBR B2.2TNX
Mapcode Global: WH79J.BBZM
Entry Name: Lock Cottage at Crowther Hall Lock
Listing Date: 29 February 1996
Last Amended: 29 February 1996
Source ID: 16766
Building Class: Transport
Location: On the W side of Crowther Hall Lock, which is immediately W of Crowther Hall.
Community: Welshpool (Y Trallwng)
Locality: Pool Quay
Traditional County: Montgomeryshire
History: The Eastern Branch of the Montgomeryshire Canal was built between 1794 and 1797, engineered by John and Thomas Dadford. George Buck was engineer between 1819 and 1831 and carried out work on the locks: it seems likely that the cottage was built during this period.
Exterior: Brick with slate roof on broad overhanging eaves. 2 storeyed, single unit plan, with shallow rear wing. Doorway to the left, and 3-light casement window alongside; similar upper windows both have bracketed stone sills.
Listed as a good surviving example of an early C19 lock cottage, which forms part of a group with the lock and bridge.
Other nearby listed buildings