This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.0449 / 52°2'41"N
Longitude: -3.8199 / 3°49'11"W
OS Eastings: 275286
OS Northings: 240063
OS Grid: SN752400
Mapcode National: GBR Y3.F954
Mapcode Global: VH4H7.QVYR
Entry Name: Lamb House
Listing Date: 29 November 1995
Last Amended: 29 November 1995
Source ID: 16976
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated on W side of village street, facing down Ship Street.
Community: Cilycwm (Cil-y-cwm)
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
Mid to later C19 pair, formerly inn and shop, now both houses, possibly rebuilt as late as 1870s, though late Georgian in style. The Lamb Inn is recorded back to 1783, and is marked on 1845 Tithe Map as long range with wing coming forward at N end. It was owned by Price of Abergwenlais to 1856, and was sold to the Neuadd Fawr estate 1873. It functioned as a pub until c1875, D.Evans publican 1843, R. Williams publican 1873, but by 1891 was called Lamb House, occupied by Thomas Williams, retired farmer. Lamb Shop was occupied by Morgan Davies 1856, William Davies, shopkeeper, 1873 and Morgan Morgan, tailor 1891. The outbuilding behind Lamb House was used by a cobbler in C20 and that behind Lamb Shop by a butcher in C20.
Whitewashed rubble stone with slate roofs, and three rendered stone stacks. Two-storey, three-window range to each of hornless 12-pane sashes. Lamb House has centre C20 half glazed door. Lamb Shop to right, has centre 4-panel door, and shopfront to left, of half-glazed door and 9-pane window. Main door and shopfront under simple corniced fascia with end blocks.
Behind both houses are outbuildings, that to Lamb House was a single-tie cow-house and cobbler's shop. Lamb Shop outbuilding is said to have been used briefly as a slaughterhouse in C20 when shop was butchers.
A good pair of village houses, Lamb Shop with C19 shopfront, and important in closing view up Ship Street.
Other nearby listed buildings