This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.275 / 53°16'30"N
Longitude: -3.7905 / 3°47'25"W
OS Eastings: 280701
OS Northings: 376833
OS Grid: SH807768
Mapcode National: GBR 1ZZK.5Q
Mapcode Global: WH654.RY55
Entry Name: Bryn Eisteddfod
Listing Date: 5 January 1996
Last Amended: 5 January 1996
Source ID: 17030
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Located on a bend off the B 5381 2km NE of Llansanffraid Glan Conwy village.
Community: Llansanffraid Glan Conwy
Community: Llansanffraid Glan Conwy
Locality: Bryn Eisteddfod
Built-Up Area: Llansanffraid Glan Conwy
Traditional County: Denbighshire
An early site on elevated ground at the mouth of the Conwy estuary; the name derives from a putative druidic stone, said traditionally to have served as seat for the elders during meetings. The original house on the site, called Pen-y-bryn until the mid C18, survives in fragment as the subsidiary house Bwthyn-y-Bryn. This is of mid-late C17 date and had primary associations with the Roberts family. In 1761 the estate was leased to Canon John Jones and his wife Grace Chambres. He built the main house probably in the 1760s as a fashionable 5-bay brick house on three floors; certainly the house is in existence by 1776 when it appears on an estate map. His grandson, the Venerable Hugh Chambres Jones, Archdeacon of Essex, inherited in 1833 and immediately set about remodelling the house in simple stuccoed Tudor style; plans and elevations by Richard Cash of Liverpool survive, relating to this intervention. Various later alterations include minor service additions of c.1890 and an inter-war extension carried out for Edward Blackburn Esq. by S. Colwyn Ffoulkes, architect of Colwyn Bay.
The C18 core is T-shaped and of brick; the 1830s extensions are of rubble and were added to the S, changing the orientation of the main (garden) front and at the same time creating a Y-plan. 2 stories plus attics to the main front with a further, basement level to the rear. All facades are stuccoed with plain cill-bands; slated roofs with overhanging eaves, deep verges and pierced, decorative bargeboards. Plain stacks with off-set chimneys grouped in threes and fours; contemporary ceramic pots. The garden front is basically symmetrical and consists of a storied, canted bay, extruded centrally between flanking angled ranges; these have similar storied bays to their gable ends. Mostly contemporary 12-pane recessed sash windows, though those to the ground-floor bay of the R wing are 20-pane, and elsewhere there are some late C19 plain sash replacements. Early C20 gabled leaded dormer to the roof of the R angled range. In front of the central bay, a single-storey canted porch addition, following the profile of the existing bay. By Colwyn Ffoulkes and attributable to the late 1920s. Central double French doors, stepped up and with moulded sandstone architrave; multipane flanking steel-framed windows, half-glazed double inner doors. Flat roof with stone-coped parapet and plain ball finials.
The rear elevation has a projecting full-height cross-wing with an entrance at basement level via an enclosed porch. It opens out onto a part-cobbled and part rock-cut service court; contemporary 6-panel door. Adjoining to the W, and extruded between this projection and the L arm of the garden front, a ground floor and basement addition also by Colwyn Ffoulkes. This has single and tripartite steel-framed windows with concrete returned labels; flat roof with stone-coped parapet. a simple single-storey service extension of c.1890.
Entrance hall with moulded architraves to windows and doors, with similar cornice; 6-panelled doors. Segmental arches lead to the stairwell (L) and the dining room and services (R). Drawing room to L off stairwell, with reeded cornice with foliate bosses; panelled reveals and shutters. 1760s stairwell with dogleg stair. This has a swept mahogany rail with oak stick balusters, risers and treads; shaped tread ends and scrolled octagonal post at rail end. Large framed panels in moulded plaster to walls with contemporary dentilated cornice. Later C19 glazed top-light. Small contemporary service door of 2 panels with L-shaped hinges leads off at landing. Beyond, a back stair of tight well-type, as before, though simpler; further 4 and 6-panel doors.
C19 bell rack to basement. Late C19 former kitchen with tiled floor and ceramic tiled dado; built-in cast iron range, glazed louvre to ceiling. Similar pantry off with slate shelving.
A late Regency house of unusual plan form and with mid-Georgian core.
Group value with other listed items at Bryn Eisteddfod.
Other nearby listed buildings