This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.4744 / 52°28'27"N
Longitude: -3.3172 / 3°19'1"W
OS Eastings: 310631
OS Northings: 287084
OS Grid: SO106870
Mapcode National: GBR 9S.K7YR
Mapcode Global: VH68H.G26H
Entry Name: Church of St Paul
Listing Date: 12 September 1996
Last Amended: 12 September 1996
Source ID: 17285
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Located on sloping ground of a narrow valley, at a sharp bend of the road. The small church is approached from gates through an avenue of trees, installed and planted to commemorate the 1887 Golden J
Community: Kerry (Ceri)
Traditional County: Montgomeryshire
The church at Dolfor was built in 1851 as a chapelry of Kerry, by T.G.Newenham, for the Rev. G.A.Cheese at a cost of £1,000, to serve this distantly outlying part of the parish.
Built of buff-grey bricks with terracotta quoins and dressings. Nave with W bellcote, three-sided E apse, and organ chamber set at right angles on N. S door is inset below a hollow-chamfered, slightly ogee arch formed with a ceramic hood mould and bold floriated terminals. Two-light windows with cusped quatrefoil vesica heads, all with similar hood moulds. Moulded eaves. The apse windows are similar, set high, and linked, each gabled, the roof hips coped. A deeply hooded sanctus bell hood is set above. The W window is of 4 lights, tightly curvilinea; idiosyncratic bellcote set on 4 corbels on the W wall, with a heavily detailed roundel and a single bell.
Porch is quarry-tiled up to 3 steps to the nave door, the top continued round as a bench. Nave roof of 7 bays; arch-braced trusses rising from hammer-beams with posts to wall corbels. Detached cross-bracing rises from the hammer-beams to criss-cross the boarded ceiling. Two steps to the Chancel, added later. Sanctuary arch has naturalistic corbels, and a lierne vault with bosses in the apse. Rere-arches to window embrasures. Floor tiled in the nave.
Glass: C19 Jubilee window on S; David and Esther.
Fittings: Octagonal font at W end. Organ installed 1884.
Included as a well designed and individualistic small C19 church which is of particular interest for the competent and consistent use of terracotta detailing .
Other nearby listed buildings