History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Hodley United Reformed Church

A Grade II Listed Building in Kerry, Powys

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.5159 / 52°30'57"N

Longitude: -3.2258 / 3°13'32"W

OS Eastings: 316913

OS Northings: 291601

OS Grid: SO169916

Mapcode National: GBR 9X.GLGB

Mapcode Global: VH68C.11H3

Entry Name: Hodley United Reformed Church

Listing Date: 12 September 1996

Last Amended: 12 September 1996

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 17300

Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary

Location: Located on the E side of the road from Kerry to Abermiwl, within the small hamlet of Hodley.

County: Powys

Town: Newtown

Community: Kerry (Ceri)

Community: Kerry

Locality: Hodley

Traditional County: Montgomeryshire

Find accommodation in
Kerry

History

The building was erected in 1840 (datestone in gable), as the Bethany Independent Chapel.

Exterior

Whitewashed brick with a slated roof. Single cell, with a brick and slate porch on the main front, added C20. Brick dentilled eaves. Two round-headed windows each side, with fixed glazing and central vent, the glazing bars rising to intersect in the semi-circular heads. Original glazing replaced by 16-pane sashes on the S elevation, matching the original and retaining the intersecting heads. Semi-circular black date-stone in front gable, reading BETHANY/1840.

Interior

Very simple. Slightly raked boarded floor, plastered walls and ceiling, latter of 3 bays, coved to the side walls. Grained panelled dado. Pulpit with canted and balustered front, and with a panelled reredos. Pine pews seating approximately 90, with wall benching at the rear.

Reasons for Listing

Included as a good example of a rural chapel of the mid C19, set in a conspicuous position.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II The Old Court
    Located approximately 150m to the east of the B4368 from Kerry to Abermule, just to the south of the hamlet of Hodley.
  • II Upper Maenllwyd farmhouse
    Located at the head of the winding valley of the Afon Miwl, close to the main Glanmule to Abermiwl road, ½km N of the hamlet of Hodley.
  • II Lower Maenllwyd
    Located towards the top of the narrow steep-sided valley of the River Mule. The garden slopes away sharply to the NE of the house. There is a timber framed barn located at right angles to the house,
  • II Cefn Maenllwyd
    The farmhouse lies behind the farm buildings, near the hilltop, at the end of a farm track off the NW side of the road from Kerry to Llanmerewig.
  • II Glan-Mule bridge
    Located just N of the road junction with the A.489 in the hamlet of Glan-Mule.
  • II Smithy at the corner of the Abermiwl and Churchstoke roads
    The house occupies the triangle of land between the two roads.
  • II The Old Rectory
    Located on the north side of Llanmerewig village, in a low-lying position close to a stream. The church is c350m to the N.
  • II Bridge at Fronfraith Mill
    The bridge spans the River Mule and the Kerry branch of the Newtown and Machynlleth Railway. The roadway linked Fronfraith Mill to its W with the B4368 to its E, which runs parallel with the railway

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.