History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

U-plan Farm range at Green Grove

A Grade II Listed Building in Llanfihangel Ystrad, Ceredigion

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1954 / 52°11'43"N

Longitude: -4.169 / 4°10'8"W

OS Eastings: 251844

OS Northings: 257453

OS Grid: SN518574

Mapcode National: GBR DN.3SMP

Mapcode Global: VH3K0.P2CW

Entry Name: U-plan Farm range at Green Grove

Listing Date: 18 October 1996

Last Amended: 18 October 1996

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 17431

Building Class: Agriculture and Subsistence

Location: Reached at end of short lane off E side of A482. Immediately S of creamery and 1.6km NW of Ystrad Aeron. Farm range to NW of house.

County: Ceredigion

Town: Lampeter

Community: Llanfihangel Ystrad

Community: Llanfihangel Ystrad

Locality: Ystrad Aeron

Traditional County: Cardiganshire

Find accommodation in
Llanfihangel-Ystrad

History

Later C18, probably contemporary with the rebuilding of the house for Edward Vaughan. Altered and remodelled in mid C19. 1843 Tithe map shows three separate farm buildings around a square yard. These were later remodelled and extended to form the present three-sided range.

Exterior

Three-sided 2-storey range facing E with stabling to S, barn to N and cowshed forming the cross-range. Rubble construction with slate roofs, hipped back to rear corners. Rear slope covered in corrugated-iron. Stable range with (from left): WDWDWD. Boarded doors, windows with mostly altered 2-light glazing. Right-hand door bricked-up and window inserted. Flat stone voussoired heads and slate sills. Upper windows to second and fourth bays, rising to eaves. Gable end with stone steps to boarded loft door, timber lintel. Rear with two doorways towards W end, boarded door to left and window inserted to right door, stone voussoired heads. C20 window between. Barn range with tall door left of centre, one leaf of boarded door intact, cambered stone voussoired head. Loop to left and two to right. Roofless later rubble lean-to to right (extended later to N). Rear with corresponding tall door with timber lintel, blocked and smaller door inserted. Two loops to left and one to right. Rubble lean-to to right. Cowshed 8 bays long with (from left): WDWDWDWD to ground floor. Boarded doors, altered glazing. Stone voussoired heads. Window above right door with similar head. Rear with full-length outshut having some 11 openings, several altered.

Interior

Barn with 6-bay roof, the N trusses of scarfed-cruck type, the opposite trusses pegged to short wall-posts. Massive paired purlins, collars (some removed) with angled struts. Six-bay scarfed-cruck roof to cowshed, the rear trusses altered to rest on timber posts, when the rear wall was removed and outshut erected. Loft in stable range (not inspected).

Reasons for Listing

Listed as a substantial and well-preserved mid C19 farm range with C18 origins. Group value with house.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.