History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Bethania Chapel

A Grade II Listed Building in Dyffryn Arth, Ceredigion

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.2467 / 52°14'48"N

Longitude: -4.0931 / 4°5'34"W

OS Eastings: 257202

OS Northings: 263015

OS Grid: SN572630

Mapcode National: GBR DR.0MD3

Mapcode Global: VH4G4.0SJJ

Entry Name: Bethania Chapel

Listing Date: 23 May 1996

Last Amended: 23 May 1996

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 17480

Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary

Location: Situated some 500m S of Bethania crossroads, on E side of road to Cilcennin.

County: Ceredigion

Community: Dyffryn Arth

Community: Dyffryn Arth

Locality: Bethania

Traditional County: Cardiganshire

Find accommodation in
Cross Inn

Exterior

History: Calvinistic Methodist chapel of 1832, altered 1872-3 by James Williams of Aberystwyth, builder, according to the plaque.

Exterior: Whitewashed stucco with slate roof. Lateral front, quite tall with two arched centre windows, two slightly smaller arched outer gallery lights and two flat-headed doors, not aligned with gallery lights but set slightly in. 1872 8-pane glazing, stucco moulded hoods with keystones and patterned stops, and angle quoins. C20 6-panel doors. Plaque between centre windows, signed by James Williams. Whitewashed rubble stone N side and rear, slate-hung S side. 12-pane upper sash each end wall. Rear has three 12-pane sashes above and two larger 12-pane sashes below.

Interior: Five-sided gallery with front panelled in long horizontal panels and square panels, decorated with stencil patterns. Deep overhang with brackets over eight plain iron columns. Flat plaster ceiling. Raked floor with pitch-pine pews, narrow balustraded great seat, pulpit with ball-finials to newels, canted front with punched decoration. Two ornate iron brackets for oil lamp globes attached to pulpit. Pews have carved wood stands for oil lights.

Listed as a surviving lateral fronted chapel of the 1830s with renewed facade and good interior of 1872.

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Rhos-goch
    About 1.2 km ENE of Bethania crossroads, reached by lane off B4576

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.