This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.246 / 52°14'45"N
Longitude: -4.1798 / 4°10'47"W
OS Eastings: 251278
OS Northings: 263102
OS Grid: SN512631
Mapcode National: GBR DM.0PVM
Mapcode Global: VH3JM.HTN3
Plus Code: 9C4Q6RWC+93
Entry Name: Capel Pennant
Listing Date: 23 May 1996
Last Amended: 23 May 1996
Source ID: 17501
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Situated just NW of Pont Pennant, on left side of road, in railed forecourt with attractive iron railings and gates.
Community: Dyffryn Arth
Community: Dyffryn Arth
Traditional County: Cardiganshire
History: Calvinistic Methodist chapel built 1832 and remodelled with added chapel house in 1883.
Exterior: Colourwashed stucco with close-eaved slate roof. Lateral facade with raised plinth and angle quoins. Two long arched centre windows and two equally long but slightly narrower arched outer gallery lights. Before 1883 further out were two arched doorways, but in 1883 the left door was blocked. The right door is in slightly raised gabled surround with fretted bargeboards and pendant over raised stucco arch with keystone. Many-panelled door and traceried fanlight. Chapel windows have similar stucco heads and keystones. Attractive glazing pattern with narrow marginal panes. Centre oval slate plaque in stucco surround. Rubble stone S wall, brackets to gable, whitewashed rear wall with three long arched windows, brick arched heads.
Interior: Re-ordered in 1883 to face S end wall. Entry via lobby with multi-paned coloured-glass window, under gallery. 3-bay gallery across N wall is slightly canted back. Bays are divided by panelled pilasters. Each bay has brackets under fretted cornice, then long low panels of turned balusters, then long horizontal panels, then long low panels of squat turned balusters under fretted top cornice. Raised centre roundel with clock. Balustraded curved great seat and pulpit with three-sided panelled front. Stucco Corinthian pilasters behind with moulded arch. Plaster ceiling with centre rose.
A well-preserved small chapel of the 1830s with unusually attractive glazing and interior woodwork of 1883. Exceptional rural setting close to Pont Pennant.
Other nearby listed buildings