This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.2168 / 52°13'0"N
Longitude: -4.1991 / 4°11'56"W
OS Eastings: 249864
OS Northings: 259896
OS Grid: SN498598
Mapcode National: GBR DL.2K2Q
Mapcode Global: VH3JT.5JGZ
Plus Code: 9C4Q6R82+P9
Entry Name: Ty Glyn including attached wings to main gable ends
Listing Date: 3 June 1964
Last Amended: 23 May 1996
Source ID: 17509
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated about 1 km N of Ciliau Aeron by junction of roads to Aberarth and to Pennant.
Community: Dyffryn Arth
Community: Dyffryn Arth
Traditional County: Cardiganshire
History: Mid to later C18 gentry house with earlier rear. Recorded from C14. Llywelyn Thomas Parry, a younger son of Noyadd Trefawr, built a house in 1620. His niece married Rees Jones (d 1647) and the Jones family were owners to 1830. Henry Jones (d 1794) probably rebuilt the house in 1768. His daughter Susanna Maria (d 1830) married the Rev. Alban Thomas (d 1819), her cousin, who took the names Jones and Gwynne, for the Ty Glyn and Monachty estates. He added a wing in 1809, as the Chapel of St Alban. Ty Glyn passed to his grandson Capt. A. T. Davies (d 1860), and the Davies family were owners until 1964 when sold to Lt Col J.J. Davis.
Exterior: Whitewashed roughcast with slate roofs, and stone end stacks. Two storeys and attic, 5-window main range with whitewashed rubble stone lower wings. W front has 3 hipped 6-pane dormers, timber modillion eaves cornice, 12-pane sashes, and broad 6-panel door with thick tracery to depressed arched fanlight. Flat porch on four thin early C19 iron columns, two embedded in wall. Slate-hung S gable. N wing, to left, is 2-storey, 3-window range. 12-pane sashes, stone left end stack, blocked centre door, and curved angles. Hipped low outbuilding on N end. Shorter S wing is chapel of 1809, also with curved angles. Two cambered-headed 12-pane sashes. Rubble stone end bellcote, over plaque: `Deo opt'o max'o triuno San'o Alb'o Angliae Protomar' hanc capellam datdicat, dedicat A Thos Jones Gwynne EL AD 1809'. Marks of large octagonal clock-face (removed) over 6-panel door with fanlight, in C20 conservatory. One high window in rear wall. Rear of main house has hipped stair tower between gabled wings. C20 render and windows generally, but battered wall indicates early date. 12-pane sashes to stair tower. Stack to SE gable. One 12-pane sash above and two 16-pane sashes below on S side.
Interior: Centre hall with fluted pilasters (?later C19) to arch. Plastered beams to rooms to r. and l., C20 fireplaces. Fielded panelled 6-panel doors. Left room, former kitchen, has fine fixed dresser. Former chapel is reached through r. room and has simple end gallery on two timber posts, and shallow curved plaster ceiling. Fine open-well stair in four flights with moulded ramped rail, turned balusters, column newels and open string with moulded tread ends. Plastered roof trusses, apparently with scarfed and pegged wall-posts.
Included at Grade II* as an unusually well -preserved C18 small country house, with fine staircase.
Reference: Royal Commission on Historic Monuments Aberystwyth
G.J. Evans A brief history of Ty-Glyn Typescript n.d.
D.S. Downey Ceredigion 9 1981 162-73
Other nearby listed buildings