History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Milestone outside Aelbryn

A Grade II Listed Building in Caersws, Powys

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.528 / 52°31'40"N

Longitude: -3.4073 / 3°24'26"W

OS Eastings: 304624

OS Northings: 293172

OS Grid: SO046931

Mapcode National: GBR 9N.FXCX

Mapcode Global: VH681.WQKC

Entry Name: Milestone outside Aelbryn

Listing Date: 5 November 1996

Last Amended: 5 November 1996

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 17553

Building Class: Transport

Location: The milestone is now located in the narrow road verge, under the garden hedge of 'Aelbryn', approx 1km E of the village centre.

County: Powys

Community: Caersws (Caers┼Ás)

Community: Caersws

Locality: Llanwnog

Traditional County: Montgomeryshire

Find accommodation in
Aberhafesp

History

The road from Newtown to Machynlleth, through Aberhafesp was included in the Second District, defined under the First Montgomeryshire Act of 1769, 'for the Repairing and Widening of ' various specified roads, and to raise tolls by means of turnpike gates. The powers were re-enacted in 1773 and at later times, and these included the power to erect stones at mile intervals. This road was superceded by the construction of the new turnpike on the S sive of the river, called the 'Long Length'.

Exterior

A triangular fronted pillar of compact sandstone, erected c.1790 ch, bearing elegantly incised lettering, in part roughly overpainted in black, reading, on the left face: 5 / NEWT, and on the right 23 / MACH / CHYN / LLETH. The reversal of faces indicates the milestone has been relocated here from the opposite site of the road.

Reasons for Listing

Included as one of the few milestones surviving from the marking out of the mile points by the Turnpike Trust.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Llwyn-y-brain
    The farmhouse is located on a river terrace above the River Severn valley, 3Km E of Llanwnog village, and is reached by a farm road by the side of 'Aelbryn'
  • II Rhydlydan Mill
    The mill lies on the N side of the Newtown to Llanwnog road, in the valley of the Rhyd-ros-lan, which formed the ancient boundary of the Cantref of Arwystli.
  • II Llys Maldwyn Hospital
    The Hospital is located at the end of Main Street, approximately 1km NE of the centre of the village.
  • II* Maesmawr Hall Hotel
    The hotel is located in the Severn valley bottom, at the end of a formal axial drive off the main Newtown to Llanidloes Road, 700m E of the junction with the A.470 to Machynlleth and level crossing.
  • II Milestone
    On the A489, S side, opposite the entrance to Ty Mawr farm.
  • II Caersws bridge
    The bridge carries the A.489 Newtown to Machynlleth Road over the River Severn immediately at the S end of the village.
  • II Dol-aethnen
    Located at the end of Market Lane, beyond the cattle market, on the bank of the wider River Severn before its width was restricted by bunds.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.