This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.8168 / 51°49'0"N
Longitude: -3.0696 / 3°4'10"W
OS Eastings: 326365
OS Northings: 213675
OS Grid: SO263136
Mapcode National: GBR F3.WP7D
Mapcode Global: VH795.RL2K
Entry Name: Canal Drain to W of embanked Aqueduct
Listing Date: 15 March 1996
Last Amended: 15 March 1996
Source ID: 17631
Building Class: Transport
Location: Immediately to west of the aqueduct that carries the canal around the steep hillside and over a stream high above the village of Govilon.
Community: Llanfoist Fawr (Llan-ffwyst Fawr)
Community: Llanfoist Fawr
Built-Up Area: Govilon
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
History: The Brecknock and Abergavenny Canal was promoted in 1792 to connect the upper Usk valley to the Monmouthshire Canal at Pontymoile and from there to the sea at Newport. Construction began in 1797, with Thomas Dadford as engineer, and the first section, from Gilwern to Llangynidr was completed in that year with the stretch as far as Brecon following in 1800. Work then stopped for a time with the result that the section to the Blaenavon Road east of Govilon was not completed until 1805, now with Thomas Cartwright as engineer. Further funds had to be raised and the last section from west of Llanfoist to Pontymoile was completed between 1809 and 1812, with William Crosley as engineer. Linked to tramroads, the canal was an important artery for trade in iron, limeand coal. In 1865 the Monmouthshire and the Brecknock and Abergavenny Canal Companies merged becoming the Monmouthshire and Brecon Canal Company. Later still the canal was bought out by the Great Western Railway and gradually the canal was run down until it was finally abandoned in 1962. Restoration work was begun in 1964 and is still ongoing.
Included for group value with the Embanked Aqueduct and other canal structures as a surviving feature of the early C19 canal.
References: Nicholson's guides to the Waterways, vol 3, South-west
R A Stevens, Brecknock & Abergavenny and Monmouthshire Canals (Towpath Guide No 2), (Cambridge, 1974), p50.
Other nearby listed buildings