This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.0869 / 53°5'12"N
Longitude: -2.9777 / 2°58'39"W
OS Eastings: 334613
OS Northings: 354858
OS Grid: SJ346548
Mapcode National: GBR 76.9H6C
Mapcode Global: WH88S.7N9V
Plus Code: 9C5V32PC+QW
Entry Name: Schoolhouse and attached Walls and gatepiers
Listing Date: 3 June 1996
Last Amended: 3 June 1996
Source ID: 17678
Building Class: Education
Location: Situated on the corner of School Hill and Clappers Lane close to the centre of the village.
Community: Gresford (Gresffordd)
Built-Up Area: Gresford
Traditional County: Denbighshire
Erected 1873-4 to the designs of Edward Jones, architect of Wrexham, the building which cost £2,000 was the gift of Archdeacon Wickham in memory of Thomas Vowler Short, Bishop of St. Asaph who died in 1872. The school was enlarged C20 and the schoolroom is now used as a dining hall, the schoolhouse as a private house.
Gothic Revival style with Early English/Transitional motifs. Coursed and squared rubble, ashlar dresings, slate roof with red ridge tiles, stone chimneys. Modified I shaped plan, 1-storey schoolroom, 2-storey schoolhouse. Elevation to School Hill: to left projecting gabled bay with stone coping has 5 linked graduated lancet windows with cusped heads forming an arch. Attached range has 3 sets of paired lancets with cusped heads, to right a gabled porch with cusped opening and an inscription in memory of Bishop Vowler Short. To right projecting gable to the schoolhouse with plate tracery window. Elevation to Clappers Lane: Schoolhouse has symmetrical front; central gabled porch with arched entrance flanked by paired lancet windows with cusped heads. Upper floor has a miniature triangular dormer with trefoil light flanked by tall gabled dormers breaking through the eaves and containing plate tracery windows. Attached stone wall has Gothic style gatepiers.
Schoolroom has exposed timber roof, Schoolhouse has been altered C20 and retains simple original doors and stairs. Partial inspection at time of 1995 survey.
Group value with All Saints Parish Church.
Listed as a good example of a school and schoolhouse in Gothic
Other nearby listed buildings