This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.4871 / 52°29'13"N
Longitude: -3.443 / 3°26'34"W
OS Eastings: 302113
OS Northings: 288669
OS Grid: SO021886
Mapcode National: GBR 9M.JDYR
Mapcode Global: VH687.8RP7
Entry Name: Broneirion
Listing Date: 26 November 1996
Last Amended: 26 November 1996
Source ID: 17775
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Located approximately 400m across the bridge, W of the junction of the road with the A.470. It is flanked by the 'U'-plan stable block on the S side now roofed over, and overlooking the rock valley
Traditional County: Montgomeryshire
The house was the first and only mansion built by David Davies, the locally born and eminent industrialist, for himself. 1864-5, by David Walker of Poundley and Walker. The house was extended to the rear in 1910 by his son, Edward Davies, and was sold to the World Chief Guide in 1947.
Mansion in Italianate style. Ashlar limestone with slate roofs. Two storeys, attic and cellars. The main E front overlooking the valley is of 5 bays, the centre 3 bays projecting, diminishing to 1 bay at first floor level. It is symmetrical but for the main entrance in the right bay; an arched opening carried on twisted stone columns. Ground floor is channel rusticated with quoins, the upper floor stuccoed. Plate glass sash windows, single and in pairs. The windows of the centre and end bays of the upper floor are framed, with entablature and aprons. Attic windows break the strong eaves, the dentilled cornice rising over them as a stilted round-headed arch, with spike finial. Stacks placed symmetrically. The N front, overlooking the bowling green, is of 7 bays, the E bay projecting, canted and gabled, with carved spandrels over the windows, including a fine scene with Ceres, bearing the date 1864. Four-paned sashes and four round-headed raised dormers. The S side has a canted 3-storey bay. The rear extension is set back, and has a large transomed window on the S side lighting the billiard room, with stained glass in the head lights.
Mostly refitted c. 1910. Main entrance leads to inner hall with open-well dog-leg oak stair to left. Drawing room on S side, with lateral marble fireplace, and dentilled cornice. Library on N side has bookshelves either side of central fireplace, with leather dust pelmets to the shelves. Dining room to rear, at centre of N front. Added billiard room has inglenook recess flanked by light oak Ionic columns, and free-style fireplace with beaten copper hood and ornamental plasterwork chimney breast.
Included as a handsome example of the Italianate style, and for association with David Davies, an important figure in the industrial development of Wales.
Other nearby listed buildings