This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.5085 / 52°30'30"N
Longitude: -3.4062 / 3°24'22"W
OS Eastings: 304655
OS Northings: 290991
OS Grid: SO046909
Mapcode National: GBR 9N.H41G
Mapcode Global: VH687.X64V
Plus Code: 9C4RGH5V+9G
Entry Name: Porth-gwibedyn
Listing Date: 26 November 1996
Last Amended: 26 November 1996
Source ID: 17791
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Located on the first terrace above the Severn valley, 1.5km SE of Caersws.
Traditional County: Montgomeryshire
The surviving structure of the farmhouse is C15 in origin, with the open hall floored and main axial stack inserted, in the C17. The 3-unit building was extended by a large service room added to the rear, probably in the C18, and the house was further extended by a one bay dairy beyond the inner room in the C19, at which time the external timber framed walls were replaced with brick. The property was inherited by the Revd John Davies JP (1770 - 1853), a prominent local worthy. Earlier the curious name was spelt Porth-y-gwebethin.
Tyrolean-rendered brickwork, with a slate roof. Two storeys, the main door, boarded, within a small open porch, opening into the former open hall. uPVC windows.
The central hall, much reduced by the introduction of the stack, is defined by cruck trusses, the upper truss, now obscured by the stack, having arch braces and cusped raking struts above the collar, and yoke apex, notched to carry the ridge. Post and panel partition with door openings each end, separates off the inner room(s), raised in level, at the S end, which also has a cruck truss. The hall has twin chamfered spine beams, and fire lintel, the cheeks of the fireplace rebuilt. The parlour, behind the stack, has joists with decorative longitudinal scribed grooves. The rear wing contains a dog leg stair, and formerly had a bake oven and well.
Included as a house of special interest for the survival of sub-medieval fabric internally.
Other nearby listed buildings