History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Cilpyll Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Nantcwnlle, Ceredigion

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.2105 / 52°12'37"N

Longitude: -4.0532 / 4°3'11"W

OS Eastings: 259806

OS Northings: 258909

OS Grid: SN598589

Mapcode National: GBR DS.2Z4F

Mapcode Global: VH4GB.PPLS

Entry Name: Cilpyll Farmhouse

Listing Date: 26 November 1996

Last Amended: 26 November 1996

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 17794

Building Class: Domestic

Location: Situated on N side of Llangeitho road, some 250m W of bridge over Gwenffrwd that marks the community E boundary.

County: Ceredigion

Town: Lampeter

Community: Nantcwnlle (Nancwnlle)

Community: Nantcwnlle

Traditional County: Cardiganshire

Find accommodation in
Penuwch

History

Minor gentry house, built 1768 for John Morgan. Marked on 1843 Nantcwnlle Tithe Map as owned by Hester Lloyd. Original name, Cilpyll, now used by C20 house to W of the farmyard.

Exterior

Rubble stone, formerly whitewashed now covered with sand-textured paint, with slate roofs, and whitewashed stone end stacks. Flat boarded eaves with widely spaced pairs of brackets. Two-storey, three-window range of plastic windows replacing small-paned sashes and 6-panel door, 2 panels glazed. Stone voussoirs, stone sills. Scratched datestone over door JM 1768. Windowless end walls. Central rear wing with porch in angle and ledged door. 9-pane fixed window to ground floor left, C20 plastic window above. N end stone stack. Parallel gabled NE rear wing with E outshut.

Interior

Central hall with broad oak stair to attic in four flights, closed string, broad rails and rectangular newels with moulded angles. Fielded panelled door to under-stair. Fielded-panelled 6-panel doors to ground and first floor. Rear wing is said to have 1768 date on fireplace lintel.

Reasons for Listing

Listed as a mid C18 house retaining good internal detail characteristic of regional gentry houses and farmhouses.

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Barn at Cilpyll Farm
    Situated on W side of farmyard at Cilpyll Farm, the gable end above the entrance drive.
  • II Felin Fach
    Situated on N side of Llangeitho road some 60m W of bridge over Gwenffrwd that marks the community E boundary.
  • II Glanmarch
    Situated some 150m WSW of Betws Lleucu church, on W side of road to Llwynygroes.
  • II Tanrallt Uchaf
    Situated on N side of B 4342 Talsarn-Llangeitho road about 4.5 km NE of Talsarn.
  • II Fedw Fawr
    Situated some 300m E of Betws Lleucu church, set back on E side of road to Llangeitho. Built into a rock on a platform site with hillside rising steeply to rear.
  • II Tal-Fedw
    Situated some 350m NE of Betws Lleucu church on S side of road to Llangeitho.
  • II Barn at Penlan Fach
    Situated to W of Penlan Fach, approximately 500m SW off the minor road some 2.5km S of Capel Penuwch.
  • II Tan-yr-Allt
    Situated some 800m NW of Llangeitho, on W side of lane that runs N from B4342 W of Pont y Capel. On steep slope above Cwm Sissyllt.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.