This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.1935 / 52°11'36"N
Longitude: -4.1226 / 4°7'21"W
OS Eastings: 255014
OS Northings: 257149
OS Grid: SN550571
Mapcode National: GBR DQ.3S3L
Mapcode Global: VH4GH.H4FB
Plus Code: 9C4Q5VVG+9X
Entry Name: Plas Trefilan
Listing Date: 13 January 1992
Last Amended: 26 November 1996
Source ID: 17806
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated just SE of Trefilan parish church, in its own grounds, bounded by the Nant Rhiwfallen to E.
Community: Nantcwnlle (Nancwnlle)
Traditional County: Cardiganshire
Built as the Rectory about 1828-30, a private house since the 1970s. The interior detail of stair and central roof-light are also found in Glandwr, Tresaith, Penbryn of 1809 and Treforgan, Llangoedmor of c1810. House is not marked on 1841 Trefilan Tithe Map, though site is called Parsonage House and garden, owned by the Rev. David Griffiths, occupied by Ann Jones.
Rubble stone, originally roughcast, with pyramid slate deep-eaved roof with paired brackets to eaves. One rendered stone stack to left of apex. Originally there was another to right of apex. Square plan, two-storey, three-window range with raised plinth and basement under SW angle. 12-pane sash windows with stone voussoirs. Centre six-panel door, two panels glazed with lozenge tracery. Similar lozenge tracery to overlight. Fine painted timber trellis porch with arched entry, leaf-pattern spandrels, lozenge pattern uprights and top rail, dentils and paired brackets. Sides have intersecting diagonals to make centre lozenge shape.
W side has C20 basement door (basement formerly only accessed from inside), two 12-pane ground floor sashes, that to left apparently replacing a C19 bay window, and one first floor sash to left. E side has ground floor C20 French window to left, replacing window, and 12-pane sash to right. 12-pane sash to first floor right. Added NW service wing, hipped to N with altered W lean-to, former dairy. Rear wall of house is part rendered.
Centralised plan with broad entrance hall with elliptical arch. Stick baluster stair with curved return to landing. Landing on three sides has plaster-moulded circle in ceiling around conical tall roof-light up to near roof apex. Cone is of lath and plaster. Ground floor 6-panel doors. E rooms are joined into one, SW room has shutters. Rear panelled door with overlight.
Listed as an unusually handsome late Georgian rectory with well-preserved interiors.
Other nearby listed buildings