This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.0449 / 53°2'41"N
Longitude: -2.8904 / 2°53'25"W
OS Eastings: 340404
OS Northings: 350102
OS Grid: SJ404501
Mapcode National: GBR 7B.D6D3
Mapcode Global: WH890.KQVM
Plus Code: 9C5V24V5+WV
Entry Name: Church of St Paul
Listing Date: 20 June 1996
Last Amended: 20 June 1996
Source ID: 17815
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Situated in a rectangular churchyard on the W side of a minor road, reached from a series of by-roads running S and SE of the B5130.
Community: Isycoed (Is-y-coed)
Traditional County: Denbighshire
A church is first recorded on the site in 1715; it was rebuilt 1742 and the present building was designed by John Butler and built in 1829 at a cost of £700. Side doors and adjacent windows were blocked and the interior reordered later C19.
Simple late Georgian style. Brown brick in flemish bond with light headers to give a chequered effect. Slate roof, hipped at E end. Rectangular plan with projecting sanctuary E end, slightly projecting tower W end. Dentil eaves cornice, windows in tall openings with round heads and stone sills are generally multipaned cast iron. N and S sides have a range of 5 windows with a blocked round headed door and window towards the W end. Tower has central arched door, there are brick and stone string courses, the penultimate stage has louvred bell openings in the N and S faces and a blind circular opening with a stone surround, probably for a clock, in the W face. There are damaged stone finials at the corners. The top stage is octagonal with a domed lead roof surmounted by a weather vane which has pierced lettering: LIRE CW 1742.
Vestibule in tower leads to nave which has a boarded ceiling, there is a shallow sanctuary with a low arch, a W gallery supported by simple cast-iron columns and a baptistry at the W end with a floor of encaustic and glazed tiles and a simple octagonal stone font. Furnishings are pitch-pine of later C19 character, organ by Bevington & Son of London, glass in E window is by Swaine Bourne of Birmingham. Arched opening at NW end leads to stairs to gallery which has original box pews with painted numbers.
Listed as a good example of an earlier C19 church.
Other nearby listed buildings