This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.2794 / 52°16'45"N
Longitude: -4.181 / 4°10'51"W
OS Eastings: 251307
OS Northings: 266826
OS Grid: SN513668
Mapcode National: GBR 8M.YK68
Mapcode Global: VH3JF.HY0Z
Entry Name: Capel Mawr
Listing Date: 30 April 1996
Last Amended: 30 April 1996
Source ID: 17909
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Situated in the S of Llanon, just N of the Afon Cledan and some 140m NW of Pont Llanon.
Community: Llansantffraed (Llansanffraid)
Built-Up Area: Llanon
Traditional County: Cardiganshire
A Calvinistic Methodist Chapel built 1844 and altered 1865. The old 1844 chapel needed enlarging after the 1858-9 revival. The original 4-bay lateral facade survives but in 1865 was altered to an end facade, and walls were raised to accommodate new galleries.
Rendered painted front and L side with rubble stone R side and rear. Slate roof, pedimental broad gable front with brackets to pediment eaves, moulded course across pediment base, angle quoins and plinth. Two arched centre windows and two similar outer gallery lights, originally all with small-paned glazing and intersecting tracery in heads, but centre windows have lost all but tracery in heads. Stucco arched hoodmoulds. Two arched doorways below gallery windows, similar tracery to fanlights, 3-panel doors and similar hoodmoulds, but with keystones. Semi-circular plaque with moulded arch between centre window heads. Blank keyed roundel in pediment. R side has two-storey, two-window range of 24-pane sashes with stone voussiors and slate sills, L side has similar one-window range.
Chapel house: Attached to L., set back with big stone L. end stack. Two storeys, door in angle to right, one-window range of hornless 12-pane sashes to L. L. side service range, one storey with one C20 window to front.
Five-sided timber gallery, front in long panels with bracketed cornice below, on six plain iron columns. Raked panelled box pews in gallery. Painted graining to gallery and gallery pews. Later, slightly raked, open pews below. Plastered flat ceiling and centre rose. Plastered pitched ceilingings under gallery. A massive tiered and panelled pulpit and organ structure covers the entrance wall, blocking two windows from inside, probably of 1865. The pulpit has broad canted front, jettied-out with side flights of steps, organ has panelling below five-bay pipe-front, the outer bays canted back.
An imposing classical front to a mid C19 chapel with fine galleried interior.
Other nearby listed buildings