This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.6392 / 51°38'21"N
Longitude: -4.9029 / 4°54'10"W
OS Eastings: 199224
OS Northings: 197367
OS Grid: SR992973
Mapcode National: GBR G8.YQPJ
Mapcode Global: VH1SD.Y2W7
Entry Name: Rowston Farmyard
Listing Date: 8 February 1996
Last Amended: 8 February 1996
Source ID: 18006
Building Class: Agriculture and Subsistence
Community: Stackpole and Castlemartin (Stackpole a Chastellmartin)
Locality: Stackpole Elidor
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
500 m E of Stackpole Elidyr church and 100 m N of Rowston farmhouse. A model farmstead built by Lord Cawdor in 1866. Rowston was a mixed farm of about 133.65 hectares. The old farmstead was demolished and the public road diverted to the W of the site, as it is now.
The farm buildings consist of a main range running N-S off which four equal-length wings extend to E and W. There is a perimeter road giving easy access to all parts. At S are two walled cattle enclosures. The gable of the main range between them, facing the farmhouse, is architecturally composed. The main range is a double-sided cow and calf shed with a central feeding, walk.
The two southern wings are also cowsheds, that at the SW is of loose-shelter type with feeding racks against its N wall. Its S wall is largely formed of timber boarding which may not be original. The wing to the SE is a single-sided cowshed with a feeding walk with shuttered openings at its N side.
The two northern wings are for farm equipment, machinery and stabling. The NW wing is a cart shed with five arches open to the N. The NE wing is a stable block entered from the S.
There is also a short N extension slightly W of the centre-line which contains lay-shafting and was evidently a food-processing unit. The entire loft above this extension and above the NE and NW wings consists of a granary, with a pitching door at each of the three extremities. Exterior stairs at end of the NE wing.
Stonework throughout finely jointed hammer-faced limestone, laid in snecked courses. Quoins and other arrisses are emphasised and built in larger stones. Some door and window heads are semicircular and others shallowly cambered. There has been some selection of better masonry for positions seen from the farmhouse or from the public road. The S end elevation of the main range has a central composition of three windows, the middle one taller. Flanking doorways also arranged symmetrically. Roofs throughout in large grey slates, with hipped gables. Modern proprietary farm structures occupy the cattle enclosures at S and there are various sheeted lean-to extensions, but without harm to the original structures.
Listed as a model farm of the mid-Victorian period, demonstrating improved buildings and optimum accessibility to all departments.
References: Local Information (Mr Prout), incl 1865 rental notes.
Tamlyn's site survey, 1865. Haverfordwest R O: DB/13/l1
Dyfed Arch. Trust S&M PRN 6987
Other nearby listed buildings