History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Former Keepers' and Pilots Houses at Llanddwyn Lighthouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Rhosyr, Isle of Anglesey

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.1358 / 53°8'8"N

Longitude: -4.4134 / 4°24'48"W

OS Eastings: 238650

OS Northings: 362572

OS Grid: SH386625

Mapcode National: GBR 5B.6GCC

Mapcode Global: WH43C.5FNV

Entry Name: Former Keepers' and Pilots Houses at Llanddwyn Lighthouse

Listing Date: 29 March 1996

Last Amended: 19 October 1998

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 18037

Building Class: Domestic

Location: At the SE end of Llanddwyn Island, close to the lighthouse.

County: Isle of Anglesey

Community: Rhosyr

Community: Rhosyr

Locality: Llanddwyn Island

Traditional County: Anglesey

Find accommodation in
Newborough

History

The houses were built in the early C19 (by 1830) by a trust, and were intended to house lighthouse keepers', pilots and life-boat men. They were repaired in 1852 and again in 1886. The pilot station was withdrawn in 1943, and the lighthouse went out of use in the 1970's. The buildings have been renovated by the Countryside Council for Wales as a museum of their original condition and function.

Exterior

A row of 4 traditional, vernacular cottages. Single storeyed, each has a 2-roomed plan comprising a heated room and croglofft over secondary unheated chamber and pantry. Roughcast render over stone with slate roofs with end-wall and axial stacks. Central doorways in gabled porches (probably late C19 additions) flanked by 12-pane sash windows with cambered heads. 2 outbuildings at the N end of the row, probably originally wash-houses, since there is an axial chimney stack.

Reasons for Listing

A rare example of a planned vernacular terrace of workers' housing and part of a group with the adjacent lighthouse.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Llanddwyn Lighthouse
    In an elevated position at the SW extremity of Llanddwyn Island.
  • II Tower (Twr Bach)
    Located at the end of the breakwater at the SE extremity of Llanddwyn Island.
  • II Church of St Dwynwen
    The church remains lie in a shallow hollow in the centre of Llanddwyn Island.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.