This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.5449 / 51°32'41"N
Longitude: -4.2206 / 4°13'14"W
OS Eastings: 246112
OS Northings: 185223
OS Grid: SS461852
Mapcode National: GBR GR.NJRK
Mapcode Global: VH3N2.SFLK
Entry Name: Overton House
Listing Date: 12 April 1996
Last Amended: 24 January 2000
Source ID: 18050
Building Class: Domestic
Location: About 80m W of green in hamlet of Overton, above Port Eynon.
Community: Port Eynon (Port Einon)
Community: Port Eynon
Built-Up Area: Port-Eynon
Traditional County: Glamorgan
The name suggests Overton House is the nucleus of the hamlet. In 1783 the house was occupied by a tenant of Morgan Beynon. In 1844 the house is recorded as the homestead of George Gibbs, with 50 acres (20.25 hectares), under the Penrice estate. The left (north west) end was a single-unit end-access house of perhaps early C17; the rear wall of this part contains a recess interpreted as a bed recess and another interpreted as a staircase recess, the rear of the latter being slightly curved. This older part contains a wooden settle at right-angles to the hearth (an increasingly rare survival) and a charnel box above, the latter a very rare survival of an important feature culturally linking Gower with Devon; it is a recess extending into the upper storey for hanging bacon and ham for curing. The settle and charnel perhaps date from the C18 when the house was enlarged or rebuilt to the right, the new part containing a central entrance and stairs in the ususual layout, with a parlour to the right. Later a bakehouse was added to the right end, under a slightly lower roof, and a dairy centrally at the rear. There is a barn in tandem to the left. When inspected the house was undergoing renovation, under proposals including replacement of the corrugated sheeting with slates.
House of 2 storeys, 3 windows, with additions to each end. Local rubble, rendered. The roof when inspected was covered with corrugated sheeting (originally thatch, to protect which there is a slight upstand in the gable masonry). The house has a mid-chimney and a right end-chimney; further chimney to bakehouse at right. First floor has broad 3-light casement windows to ends, smaller casement window to centre, all set at eaves. Shallow gabled stone porch to centre with side seats, boarded entrance door; broad 3-light casement window to each side. Left end has attached 2-bay barn; right end has attached bakehouse, front doorway, window to rear. To rear, at right angles late C18/early C19 dairy block, with boarded door. Recess between this and bed outshut of house filled by later wall to pantry. The house stands in a small croft with a vegetable patch at front, rubble-walled around; wall to front with iron gate to path leading to house. Another rubble wall encloses the rear of the croft, with gate and stile.
Central stair passage with wooden stairs. To left, the hall has transverse joists, some chamfered; fireplace with simple chamfered bressummer; above, charnel box with smaller longitudinal joists has window to landing above; bench to left of fireplace. Bed outshut to north corner with window in north east wall. To right of the hallway is the parlour with transverse chamfered joists; cupboards with fielded panelling each side of a modern fireplace. Kitchen (former dairy) to rear. At first floor level, the stair divides at a small landing; upper part of charnel box to the left. Rooms divided by boarded partitioning; roof timbers probably late C19, underside of roof boarded. Interior of bakehouse with boilers and brick oven.
Listed despite alterations for its special characteristic Gower features, especially the extremely rare surviving charnel box.
Other nearby listed buildings