History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Diosg

A Grade II Listed Building in Llanbrynmair, Powys

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.5996 / 52°35'58"N

Longitude: -3.6102 / 3°36'36"W

OS Eastings: 291038

OS Northings: 301418

OS Grid: SH910014

Mapcode National: GBR 9D.97SS

Mapcode Global: WH68J.JX2G

Entry Name: Diosg

Listing Date: 31 January 1997

Last Amended: 31 January 1997

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 18129

Building Class: Domestic

Location: Farmhouse located on a platform site at the head of its farmyard, at the foot of the Newydd Ffynyddog, above the small township of Dol-fâch, and accessed by a farm road from the centre of Dol-fâch.

County: Powys

Community: Llanbrynmair (Llanbryn-mair)

Community: Llanbrynmair

Locality: Dolfach

Traditional County: Montgomeryshire

Find accommodation in
Talerddig

History

The C18 2-bay lobby-entry gable stack farmhouse was bought by the Rev. John and Mary Roberts of Chapel House, Dol-fâch, where they took a tenancy with their family in 1806. Samuel Roberts, 'SR', who was to become one of the most important radical free thinkers and preachers in Wales of the C19, lived here from 1806 to 1857. He fought for the rights of oppressed tenants, campaigned against slavery, initiated the idea of a national single rate pre-paid post, and was poet and contributor to eisteddfodau, and editor of Y Cronicl. The youngest son, Robert Richard, 'Gryffydd Rhisiart' (1810-1883), who also became eminent in literary fields, was born at Diosg.

Exterior

Late C18 building of stone with slate roof. Two storeys, main 2-bay range with a lean-to at the upper end, and a lean-to stable set at the lower gable end of the main range. A 2-bay wing was added to the front of the upper bay by Samuel Roberts in 1830, commemorated by a date stone built into the front wall. The main building has a boarded door and small pane iron framed windows (1 replaced). The added wing has 24 and 36-pane iron windows in timber frames, the openings having massive slate lintels. A slate plaque is now attached to the front wall by the door reads DYMA GARTREF SR / 1806-1857.

Interior

Lobby entry against the gable stack, with living room with spine beam and ogee stops. Inner parlour and small pantry at the lower end now amalgamated into a kitchen. The wing, improbably said to have been a wine room, has an inner room behind an axial stack.

Reasons for Listing

Included as a good example of an C18 farmhouse with good quality C19 alterations, and particularly for its associations with with the nationally renowned Roberts family

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Milestone at the N end of Dol-fach
    Located in the grassed verge near the N end of the layby on the NW end of the hamlet of Dol-fâch.
  • II Yr Hen Gapel, forecourt railings, and Minister's house
    Located on the E side of the hamlet of Dol-fâch, above the railway line. The chapel is approached by a flight of wide steps between walls, leading to the railed forecourt. The manse lies behind the
  • II Coed Cae
    The farmhouse is located approximately 600m S of the centre of the village, and is set with its left gable to the road. The farm buildings lie to the N.
  • II Bryn llys
    The house is located on rising ground, set back from the main A470 and approached through fine iron gates on cast iron stanchions, to a long angled driveway. Further iron gates to the front garden.
  • II Cwm-carnedd-uchaf
    The farmhouse is located near the head of the lane leading from Dolfâch up the Banc y Gorlan, and is sited across the slope facing S across the valley.
  • II Wynnstay Arms
    The building is prominently located at the centre of the village, in the angle between the main A.470 Caersws to Machynlleth Road and the Pandy Road up the Tafolog Valley.
  • II Milestone at Llanbrynmair Bridge
    Located in the pavement on the reformed approach to the bridge.
  • II Llanbrynmair Railway Station and house
    The railway passes to the N of the village. The station is approximately 100m from the junction of the lane with the A470.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.