History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Plas esgair

A Grade II Listed Building in Llanbrynmair, Powys

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.5958 / 52°35'44"N

Longitude: -3.6529 / 3°39'10"W

OS Eastings: 288137

OS Northings: 301057

OS Grid: SH881010

Mapcode National: GBR 9B.9H8M

Mapcode Global: WH68P.V0PV

Entry Name: Plas esgair

Listing Date: 31 January 1997

Last Amended: 31 January 1997

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 18135

Building Class: Domestic

Location: The house is located in its own grounds approached by a long driveway from the road, approximately 550m N of Llan church.

County: Powys

Community: Llanbrynmair (Llanbryn-mair)

Community: Llanbrynmair

Locality: Llan

Traditional County: Montgomeryshire

Find accommodation in
Llanbrynmair

History

Built about 1780 on a site occupied from an earlier date. It was heightened by one storey c.1820-30, reroofed and a verandah added.

Exterior

Rubble stonework and a slate roof. Two storeys, later three, 3 bays, with a contemporary 4-bay rear service wing. Wide boxed eaves with sparse modillion brackets. Gable stacks. Main entrance at approach side at start of service wing; door in a glazed screen, all with Gothic pattern glazing bars, and a similarly glazed door and screen on to the verandah at the opposite side. Twelve-paned sashes extending to near the ground on the ground floor, 9-pane to first floor, and 6-pane to top floor. A later canted bay window occupies the right bay of the ground floor. Rear wing has 6-pane sashes. The verandah, probably altered, with timber posts supporting a slated roof, covers the 3 sides. Rendered extension to left, with canted ends.

Reasons for Listing

Included as a well preserved gentry house in an area where such social distinctions are rare.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Hafod y Llan, also known as the Old Rectory
    Located close to the NW side of the graveyard of the church of St Mary, and approached by a driveway under the churchyard wall.
  • II Sundial in the Churchyard of the Church of St Mary
    Located to the south of the W end of the church, approximately 5 metres from the corner of the Vestry.
  • II* Church of St Mary
    Located approximately 3.2 kilometres S of Llanbrynmair on the B 4518, and set in an oval churchyard on a small hill.
  • II Bethel Chapel and Forecourt Railings
    The chapel is located at an angle to the road, at the entrance to Bont Dolgadfan village from the B 4518, behind the house Tan-y-capel. The schoolroom and meeting room are attached by a lean-to roof
  • II Bont Dolgadfan Independent Chapel, with railed forecourt
    Located near the centre of Bont Dolgadfan, beside the road leading to Ty-gwyn farm. The chapel is set lengthwise and above the road, behind its railed forecourt set on the retaining wall.
  • II Brynawel
    Located on right side of the road from the centre of the village leading to Ty-gwyn and below the Independent Chapel.
  • II Tremafon
    Located on right side of the road from the centre of the village leading to Ty-gwyn and below the Independent Chapel.
  • II Bont Dolgadfan
    At the centre of the hamlet of Bont Dolgadfan.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.