History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Bridge in Parkland

A Grade II Listed Building in Tregynon, Powys

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.5661 / 52°33'57"N

Longitude: -3.3545 / 3°21'16"W

OS Eastings: 308284

OS Northings: 297331

OS Grid: SO082973

Mapcode National: GBR 9Q.CJR8

Mapcode Global: WH79Z.FRVN

Entry Name: Bridge in Parkland

Listing Date: 31 January 1997

Last Amended: 31 January 1997

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 18152

Building Class: Gardens, Parks and Urban Spaces

Location: Located approximately 200m SW of Gregynog Hall within a wooded area of parkland and carries a footpath over a drive leading to the W entrance to the grounds of Gregynog Hall.

County: Powys

Community: Tregynon

Community: Tregynon

Locality: Gregynog

Traditional County: Montgomeryshire

Find accommodation in
Tregynon

History

Constructed 1870-1880 by Henry Hanbury-Tracy in unreinforced concrete. Hanbury-Tracy experimented with concrete c1870 and used the material for cottages and farm buildings on the estate. The concrete was made from river gravel, and brick fragments bonded with cement. It was laid in wet courses directly onto the wall using timber shuttering.

Exterior

Single arch bridge of unreinforced concrete with rendered concrete parapet. The walls are built up in a series of lifts in a coarse aggregate and the arch is scribed to imitate ashlar. The parapet has a string course and a moulded cornice with panelled piers at the ends.

Reasons for Listing

Listed for its pioneering use of unreinforced concrete of which the construction technique is clearly visible, as an important component of the surviving concrete buildings in Tregynon and for group value with other items at Gregynog.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Fountain (south-west)
    Located within the gardens of Gregynog Hall, immediately in front of the house.
  • II Fountain (north-east)
    Located within the gardens of Gregynog Hall, immediately in front of the house.
  • II* Gregynog Hall
    1.7km SW of parish church, in a large area of parkland and gardens. The house faces roughly SE.
  • II Garden Bridge
    Located in front of Gregynog Hall and spanning a sunken garden.
  • II Stable and Coach House
    Located immediately E of Gregynog Hall.
  • II Wood Cottage
    In an isolated position on the edge of Gregynog Great Wood, half a kilometre west of Gregynog Hall.
  • II Middle Lodge
    Located within the grounds of Gregynog Hall, approximately 0.4km E of Gregynog Hall, on N side of a driveway leading to Tregynon.
  • II Fir House
    Located at the end of a farm road on S side of a minor road between Tregynon and Bwlch-y-fridd, approximately 2.9km SW of parish church.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.