History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

No 5 Milford Terrace

A Grade II Listed Building in Saundersfoot, Pembrokeshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7118 / 51°42'42"N

Longitude: -4.7009 / 4°42'3"W

OS Eastings: 213500

OS Northings: 204901

OS Grid: SN135049

Mapcode National: GBR GF.5B0C

Mapcode Global: VH2PL.G7PL

Entry Name: No 5 Milford Terrace

Listing Date: 7 May 1997

Last Amended: 3 April 2012

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 18434

Building Class: Domestic

Location: On the W side of Milford Street, extending downhill from the corner with The Ridgeway. A row of houses behind long front gardens. Low walls with iron railings and gates facing the street. Large rear y

County: Pembrokeshire

Community: Saundersfoot

Community: Saundersfoot

Locality: Saundersfoot Village

Built-Up Area: Saundersfoot

Traditional County: Pembrokeshire

Find accommodation in
Saundersfoot

History

Two parts of a terrace of small houses were built in c.1850. It was intended to develop the whole W side of
Milford Street with 17 similar houses. These houses were built for ground leaseholders on Picton Estate
land by the Saundersfoot Building Society. The original size of each plot was ten perches. The estate map
of 1850 indicates the complete row, but its schedule shows that only five were completed at the lower (S)
end and seven at the upper (N) end at that date.

At the upper end the whole original group of seven survives. The top three plots were developed by Capt.
T. Lloyd, who occupied the first house, now called Pen-y-dre, himself (the site of which is bigger, being on the corner) and sublet No. 2, now called Coppers, to John Lloyd and No. 3, now called Penydre Cottage, to William Llewellyn. (John Lloyd was the farmer of the land immediately to the rear.) No. 4 was leaseholder-occupied, by Henry Rees. No 5 was leased to Benjamin Thomas but sublet to Elias Jones. Alex Morse was the leaseholder of Nos. 6 and 7, now Tryweryn Cottage and Ynysfach respectively, sublet to Hannah Matthias and James Llewellin. This is a typical pattern of building-society development by small investors. The larger corner house at the N end of the row was later the residence of the colliery company's doctor, Dr Pennant.

Originally the street ran directly in front of the houses (as shown on the 1859 map), so there were no front gardens; but its position was later moved to the E and there are now long front gardens.

Exterior

Belongs to a group of six small terrace-houses and one larger end-house on the W side and at the upper end of Milford Street. The larger house is at the end of the row, and the others descend to the left. Each of the terrace houses is single fronted, two windows, two rooms deep, with later rear extensions. Each has its entrance at the left and its chimney in the gable of the higher house to its right.

Rubble stone masonry, rendered and painted in a variety of pastel colours. Slate roof with tile ridges. Sash
windows, consisting of twelve panes where the original sashes survive. Doors with fanlights under
semicircular arches. The end-house is taller and wider and has 16 -pane sash windows. The rear extensions of the houses are not original.

Reasons for Listing

Listed as a good example of early Victorian Building Society housing contributing positively to the character of the harbour area of the village, notwithstanding some later variation of detail. Historically important as evidence of the intention of landowners to develop the village with housing of good status.

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II No 4 Milford Terrace
    On the W side of Milford Street, extending downhill from the corner with The Ridgeway. A row of houses behind long front gardens. Low walls with iron railings and gates facing the street. Large rear y
  • II Tryweryn Cottage, No. 6 Milford Terrace
    On the W side of Milford Street, extending downhill from the corner with The Ridgeway. A row of houses behind long front gardens. Low walls with iron railings and gates facing the street. Large rear y
  • II Penydre Cottage, No.3 Milford Terrace
    On the W side of Milford Street, extending downhill from the corner with The Ridgeway. A row of houses behind long front gardens. Low walls with iron railings and gates facing the street. Large rear y
  • II Ynysfach, No. 7 Milford Terrace
    On the W side of Milford Street, extending downhill from the corner with The Ridgeway. A row of houses behind long front gardens. Low walls with iron railings and gates facing the street. Large rear y
  • II Coppers, No. 2 Milford Terrace
    On the W side of Milford Street, extending downhill from the corner with The Ridgeway. A row of houses behind long front gardens. Low walls with iron railings and gates facing the street. Large rear y
  • II Pen-y-dre, No 1 Milford Terrace
    On the W side of Milford Street, extending downhill from the corner with The Ridgeway. A row of houses behind long front gardens. Low walls with iron railings and gates facing the street. Large rear y
  • II Rose Cottage
    Set into a line of buildings midway along the N side of High Street; stepped down from adjoining properties and set back from the road behind a forecourt with a low wall and iron railings and gate.
  • II Swn y Mor Hotel
    At the W side of Cambrian Place, adjacent to the Cambrian Hotel.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.