This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.7121 / 51°42'43"N
Longitude: -3.0389 / 3°2'20"W
OS Eastings: 328317
OS Northings: 201997
OS Grid: SO283019
Mapcode National: GBR J4.36BP
Mapcode Global: VH79S.87TB
Entry Name: The Vicarage
Listing Date: 29 May 1997
Last Amended: 29 May 1997
Source ID: 18465
Building Class: Domestic
Location: On the south side of Penygarn Road opposite the Church of St. Cadoc.
Community: Trevethin (Trefddyn)
Built-Up Area: Pontypool
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
A late Regency style villa from the period 1830-1850 which was probably built as the Vicarage of the adjacent Parish Church of St. Cadoc. Previous to this the clergy house had been what is now The Masons' Arms P.H. It is said that the new vicarage was built by a famous long term Vicar of Trevethin, the Rev. Llewellyn, but he only became Vicar in 1866, and the present house certainly appears stylistically older than that.
A late Regency style villa, rendered and painted, probably over brick, and with an artificial slate roof. The house faces south and is of two storeys and three bays with a central entrance. The ground floor has the original part-glazed door with a large three over three pane sash on either side. The whole is fronted by a tented verandah on decorative cast iron posts, Welsh slated, but wth glazing over the features. Above are three six over six sashes in plain surrounds. Hipped roof with deep eaves and tiled ridges, two red brick stacks. The east elevation has a canted bay on the ground floor with plate glass sashes, the rear extensions have been partly altered.
The interior of the main villa (partially seen) is very little altered with a central stairhall with stick baluster stair and plain joinery and plasterwork. The planning survives unaltered.
An unaltered late Regency style villa, probably built as the Vicarage of the Parish of Trevethin.
Other nearby listed buildings