History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Bridge 143 over the Montgomeryshire Canal

A Grade II Listed Building in Llandyssil, Powys

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.5604 / 52°33'37"N

Longitude: -3.2289 / 3°13'43"W

OS Eastings: 316789

OS Northings: 296552

OS Grid: SO167965

Mapcode National: GBR 9W.CZNP

Mapcode Global: WH7B1.CWNZ

Entry Name: Bridge 143 over the Montgomeryshire Canal

Listing Date: 14 July 1997

Last Amended: 14 July 1997

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 18528

Building Class: Transport

Location: The bridge forms the approach to Glanhafren House, and is located immediately E of the A483 Welshpool to Newtown road.

County: Powys

Community: Llandyssil (Llandysul)

Community: Llandyssil

Locality: Glanhafren

Traditional County: Montgomeryshire

Find accommodation in
Berriew

History

This section of the Montgomeryshire canal (the western branch) was constructed between 1815 and 1821 under the direction of the engineer, Josias Jessop. The bridge was built to carry a driveway to Glanhafren House and the iron beams of the bridge were cast in 1889. As the house is early C19, there may have been an earlier bridge on the site.

Exterior

The bridge is carried on flat iron beams. The following inscription is cast into their exterior faces: Glanhafren Bridge 143 1889. The parapets are of blue brick with recessed panels and chamfered stone copings. There is a pier at each end and in the centre, all with saddleback copings. Between the piers are iron railings with ball finials. They form open square panels containing circles. To the W (road side) the parapet walls splay outwards and continue for a further 2 bays. The flat iron beams are supported on splayed brick abutments with stone copings which could be earlier features.

Reasons for Listing

Listed as a decorative element of the later works associated with the Montgomeryshire Canal which carried the driveway to a house of some architectural pretensions. It is the only bridge of its kind over the canal.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Glanhafren
    Located on low lying ground between the River Severn and the Montgomery Canal Approached from the A483 via a bridge over the Canal. A former malthouse, now much altered, lies at right-angles to the
  • II Pennant
    Set back from the main A483 road to the S of the community.
  • II Outbuilding at Pennant
    Set back to the rear of the house, forming one range of an informal courtyard.
  • II Flanking Stable at Pennant
    Set back from the main A483 road to the S of the community.
  • II Laundry Buildings at Pennant
    Set back from the main A483 road to the S of the community.
  • II Bridge 144 over the Montgomeryshire Canal
    The bridge carries a trackway over the canal and is located between Glanhafren and Brynderwen. It is immediately E of the A483 Welshpool to Newtown road.
  • II Bridge 142 over the Mongomeryshire Canal
    Opposite the Red House, immediately adjacent to the main A483.
  • II Red House Farmhouse
    Alongside the main Welshpool-Newtown Road towards the S edge of the community, to the E of Pennant.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.