This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.6038 / 51°36'13"N
Longitude: -3.5416 / 3°32'29"W
OS Eastings: 293331
OS Northings: 190566
OS Grid: SS933905
Mapcode National: GBR HF.B5W9
Mapcode Global: VH5GZ.KYKD
Plus Code: 9C3RJF35+G9
Entry Name: Bethlehem Capel Bedyddwyr, with front retaining wall and gates.
Listing Date: 28 July 1997
Last Amended: 28 July 1997
Source ID: 18601
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: The chapel is set in a row of housing and commercial properties just N of the centre of the town and facing down River Street. It is raised on a platform behind a retaining wall.
Town: Ogmore Valley
Community: Ogmore Valley (Cwm Ogwr)
Community: Ogmore Valley
Locality: Ogmore Vale
Built-Up Area: Ogmore Vale
Traditional County: Glamorgan
The chapel was first built in 1871. Due to a rapid growth in the size of the congregation, it soon became inadequate and the original chapel was demolished and rebuilt on a larger scale in 1876. Following closure, it was converted in 1995 into a performance hall, with social and practice rooms for the Ogmore Valley Male Voice Choir. It is the best surviving example of the external design which was also used at Libanus, Gilfach Goch, and Bethel, Nant-y-moel, and with modifications at Bethania, Ogmore Vale and Noddfa, Gilfach Goch.
Built of local rock-faced stone with sandstone ashlar dressings and a slate roof. A two-stage facade, gabled above the upper string. On the ground floor, a central pair of panelled doors in a round voussoired arch, the keystone slightly emphasised, and margin-glazed round-headed windows either side. Above the string, the quoins become flush end pilasters. Central triple window, each light narrow and round headed, and the side bays have similar windows to the ground floor. In the tympanum, a high-set small aedicule, and keyed oculi either side of a central date stone reading BETHLEHEM / CAPEL Y BEDYDDWYR / 1871, and below, AIL-ADEILADWYD 1876. Foundation stone under the lower left window. At the sides, 2 tiers of 4 margin-glazed round headed windows. Basement.
The front retaining wall is of rock-faced sandstone with ashlar dressed copings, and a central iron gate.
The interior is plastered, with a flat ceiling and large ventilation rose at the centre in its original colouring. It retains a timber gallery on three sides, panelled between pilasters, and with modillion brackets in the lower mouldings, all supported on iron columns, and stairs each side from the front lobby. The pulpit and pews were removed during conversion in 1995-6. The large vestry situated below the chapel has four cast iron columns.
Included as the best example of a type of chapel design which is well represented in the valley, including Bethania, Bethania Street, and Bethel Chapel, Nant-y-moel.
Other nearby listed buildings