This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.2001 / 53°12'0"N
Longitude: -4.1166 / 4°6'59"W
OS Eastings: 258712
OS Northings: 369089
OS Grid: SH587690
Mapcode National: GBR 5Q.2GGB
Mapcode Global: WH547.QTXM
Plus Code: 9C5Q6V2M+29
Entry Name: Glasinfryn Viaduct (partly in Llandygai community)
Listing Date: 22 September 1997
Last Amended: 13 July 2004
Source ID: 18915
Building Class: Transport
Location: The viaduct lies approximately 100m E of the N end of the village of Glasinfryn.
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
Built c1880 to carry the former Bangor to Bethesda Branch of the London and North-Western Railway across the deep valley of the Afon Cegin. It is now a footpath.
The viaduct is of rock-faced coursed stone, and is laid out on a very distinct curve extending for some 120m. It consists of eight arches with a broad central semi-eliptical skewed arch having 5-ring dry-toothed blue brick voussoirs. The central arch is flanked by narrower semi-circular straight arches, four on one side and three on the other. A margin-dressed rock faced string course forms the base of a similar parapet of 5 courses, coped with hog-backed stone.
Included as a fine example of railway engineering, of special interest as laid out on a curve.
Other nearby listed buildings