This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.7829 / 51°46'58"N
Longitude: -4.6372 / 4°38'13"W
OS Eastings: 218186
OS Northings: 212648
OS Grid: SN181126
Mapcode National: GBR D0.YY5Q
Mapcode Global: VH2P7.KGV2
Entry Name: Milepost in Tavernspite village
Listing Date: 15 October 1997
Last Amended: 15 October 1997
Source ID: 18987
Building Class: Transport
Location: E of village of Tavernspite, N side of road
Community: Lampeter Velfrey (Llanbedr Felfre)
Community: Lampeter Velfrey
Built-Up Area: Tavernspite
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
A milepost on one of the roads which were shown on the map in the 1844 Inquiry Report as managed by the Tavernspite Turnpike Trust. The Trust appears to be of C18 origin. It was controlled under an act of 1808. Following the Rebecca riots all Pembrokeshire turnpike roads were taken over in 1845 by the County Roads Board. It was probably after this consolidation that the foundry of Joseph Marychurch, Haverfordwest, cast the plates for the mileposts.
Milepost consisting of two cast-iron plates each with its top pointed. The plates are butted together at 90 degrees, fixed to a solid backing but not fixed to each other.
The W-facing plate reads '16 miles 1301 yards to Carmarthen'. The E-facing plate reads '4 miles 1219 yards to Narberth'. Both plates have the wording 'Marychurch Foundry' in smaller lettering at the foot. This milepost is the first on the Tavernspite turnpike, close to the position where the turnpike gate stood.
Listed as a C19 cast-iron milepost of distinctive local type, the first on the Tavernspite Turnpike.
Other nearby listed buildings