History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Cwrt Mawr

A Grade II Listed Building in Llangeitho, Ceredigion

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.2405 / 52°14'25"N

Longitude: -4.0217 / 4°1'18"W

OS Eastings: 262051

OS Northings: 262182

OS Grid: SN620621

Mapcode National: GBR DV.0T8X

Mapcode Global: VH4G5.7YQ9

Entry Name: Cwrt Mawr

Listing Date: 15 October 1997

Last Amended: 15 October 1997

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 19005

Building Class: Domestic

Location: Situated in landscaped grounds some 2.5 km N of Llangeitho, approached by long drive running S from B4577 2km W of Tyncelyn crossroads.

County: Ceredigion

Town: Tregaron

Community: Llangeitho

Community: Llangeitho

Traditional County: Cardiganshire

Find accommodation in
Blaenpenal

History

Country house of c1845, extended to rear in 1870s. In 1833 Cwrt Mawr was described as an ancient mansion, now a farm. The Rev. John Daniel was owner in 1830, and, on 1841 schedule to the Llangeitho Tithe Map, Cwrt Mawr was owned by the Rev. Daniel, occupied by David John. As the accompanying Tithe Map does not mark buildings it is not possible to say if this is the present house. A sale advertisement of 1850 describes a 'commodious house' with gardens, presumably the present house. The estate was bought by Robert J. Davies of Aberystwyth, and passed to his son John H. Davies, Principal of University College, Aberystwyth 1919-26.

Exterior

Colourwashed rubble stone with slate hipped roof and brick end stacks. Large three-storey, three-window front range with eaves brackets, 6-pane sashes to attic, 12-pane to first floor and canted bays to ground floor. Hornless sashes, stone voussoirs and slate sills. Ground floor bays have 4-pane sashes to sides, 12-pane to front, flat roofs and painted brick bases. Centre half-glazed door with fanlight. Timber columned porch with bulbous columns on chamfered bases, matching responds and bracket cornice.
Added rear ranges are in matching style to same roof height with paired gables to rear court. Right end has no windows to original range then added two-window range to right. This has large tripartite 4-12-4-pane sashes each floor to left, and, to right, small ground floor window and long 4-light casements to each upper floor. Brick heads and slate sills. Brick ridge and end stacks. Left end has two inserted arched windows with brick heads to original ground floor. Added range to left has close-spaced 3-window range of 12-pane sashes, door in ground floor right bay. Brick heads, slate sills. Twin-gabled rear has eaves brackets and brick stacks. Single storey NW outbuilding beyond with brick stack, 16-pane sash and door facing garden, 9-pane fixed window to rear yard.

Interior

Broad central hall with elliptical arch. Stick balusters to stairs, 6-panel doors. C19 marble fireplace to left room and sideboard recess.

Reasons for Listing

Listed as a substantial late Georgian style country house.

Recommended Books

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.