This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.2888 / 53°17'19"N
Longitude: -3.6262 / 3°37'34"W
OS Eastings: 291690
OS Northings: 378098
OS Grid: SH916780
Mapcode National: GBR 3Z3D.QS
Mapcode Global: WH657.8LGM
Plus Code: 9C5R79QF+FG
Entry Name: Stable and Cart House Range at Tan-yr-Ogof Farm
Listing Date: 12 November 1997
Last Amended: 12 November 1997
Source ID: 19042
Building Class: Agriculture and Subsistence
Location: Located immediately N of and behind Tan-yr-Ogof Farmhouse, within the farmyard.
Community: Llanddulas and Rhyd-y-Foel (Llanddulas a Rhyd-y-Foel)
Community: Llanddulas and Rhyd-y-Foel
Traditional County: Denbighshire
Medievalist stable block with later carthouse additions, designed as part of the Tan-yr-Ogof farm group in the characteristic Gwrych Castle estate style. Begun for Lloyd Bamford Hesketh c1819, Gwrych Castle ranks as one of the most important castellated houses of the Picturesque in Britain. The castle and its associated lodges and park walls were designed collaboratively by the client and Thomas Rickman, the architect and architectural theorist. A castellated scheme was prepared by the architect C A Busby as early as 1814, though this was abandoned by the owner in favour of his own designs. Rickman was consulted from 1816 onwards, producing a full scheme in 1817. The foundation stone was finally laid 1819. Cast iron Perpendicular-style windows from John Cragg's Mersey Iron Foundry (where Rickman had collaborated on his iron churches at Liverpool), were incorporated in the scheme. Hesketh was still producing designs as late as the 1850s, though the main work at the castle was complete by 1822; it is likely, therefore, that the Tan-yr-Ogof complex also belongs to this primary phase and was included in the original overall conception. The carthouse additions are probably of the mid or third-quarter C19.
Two-storey rectangular building of local limestone rubble with limestone dressings; corbelled-out, un-battlemented parapet, broken on the W side, with modern, mono-pitch tiled roof. Tall stable entrances to the long sides with Tudor-arched heads; pegged, chamfered doorcases with small-pane overlights. Tudor-arched windows to upper floors at both ends, with modern glazing. Early C20 rectangular loading bay to N end with boarded doors. At the NW corner, a bartizan with sham-machicolated upper stage. The long W side has an upper Tudor-arched loading bay with recessed door.
Adjoining to the E and forming an L with the stable block are 2 cart-house additions, stepped-down in two sections. Of local rubble construction with slate roofs, tiled ridges and later brick gable parapets. The principal section, to the L, has large Tudor-arched entrances to both sides; C19 boarded double doors. The right-hand section, formerly a twin-bay cart shed, has post-war brick reduction to the L; its rear roof pitch is of corrugated asbestos.
Wide, Tudor-arched cart entrance to primary block, contained within later carthouse and originally external; part-cobbled floor.
Listed as a castellated agricultural range associated with Hesketh and Rickman's nationally important work at Gwrych Castle.
Group value with Tan-yr-Ogof Farm.
Other nearby listed buildings