This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.8488 / 51°50'55"N
Longitude: -5.0778 / 5°4'39"W
OS Eastings: 188113
OS Northings: 221173
OS Grid: SM881211
Mapcode National: GBR CF.TP53
Mapcode Global: VH1R4.XSYK
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 13 November 1997
Last Amended: 13 November 1997
Source ID: 19080
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Situated in Roch village, just SE of Roch Castle.
Community: Nolton and Roch (Nolton a'r Garn)
Community: Nolton and Roch
Built-Up Area: Roch
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
Anglican parish church, probably founded in C13 by Adam de Rupe or de la Roche of Roch Castle. C15 panelled stone vault to the porch, identical to the one at Nolton. A late medieval aisle of 2 bays on S side of nave and chancel was demolished in 1798. The church was restored 1857-9, initially without an architect, then by R.K. Penson. The vestry was added 1904 by D.E. Thomas and stained glass and other fittings were given c1912-25 by Viscount St Davids of Roch Castle. Three fine windows of 1913-25 by Morris & Co to designs by Burne-Jones. The W bellcote was removed in the C20.
Anglican church, rubble stone with slate roofs and coped gables. Nave and chancel with S porch and N vestry. A W bellcote has been removed. Nave W has corbelled base of bellcote and 3-light Forest of Dean stone W window, Perp style, possibly of c1920 by W.D. Caroe. Nave S has 2-light plate-traceried window of 1859 with stone voussoirs to left of porch. Porch, C19 externally with coped gable has fine whitewashed panelled stone vault, 4-centred. To right, spanning junction of nave and chancel is blocked 2-bay arcade of 4-centred arches, probably C15, on square centre pier. Inserted in left bay is 2-light window of c1859 and in right bay a 3-light 4-centred window of c1920. Wall then steps in and chancel S is otherwise windowless. 3-light E window of c1859, with three circles in head. N side has lean-to vestry of 1904 and 2 2-light windows of 1859 to nave N.
Victorian roofs, 6-bay to nave, arch-braced collar trusses, thin scissor-braced trusses to chancel. Medieval square ashlar font with lower corners chamfered, round base, shaft missing. Pulpit of 1918 in grey ashlar, possibly by W.D. Caroe. Thin iron altar rails possibly of 1859. Stained glass: by Morris & Co, made posthumously to Burne-Jones designs, the 3-light W window Courage/St George/Fortitude c1920, and 2 N 2-light windows, the first, Suffer the little children, 1913, the second, Nativity, 1917. One nave S window, SS David & Madoc, 1985, by Celtic Studios. Chancel S has c1920 Morris & Co window, Christ and boy-scout, not to Burne Jones design. Stamped quarries of c1859 in E window. Monuments: Nave S has brass plaque to John Grant d1804 next to niche with fine classical memorial to the Rev. John Grant, 1790, made of Coade stone. Female figure over classical inscribed pedestal. Neo-Grec plaque to Henry Rees of Folkeston, d 1834, by Wood of Bristol; numerous plaques to the Stokes of Cuffern and Scotchwell, the best at E end of nave, to John Stokes of Roch Castle, d1770, and the wife and daughter of John Rees Stokes of Cuffern, died 1800 and 1794, oval, marble with urn. On N side alabaster and mosaic plaques to members of the families of Lord and Lady St Davids, early C20. Large marble shield plaque to S. Meredith, d1820, by Williams of St Florence.
A parish church with fine medieval vault to porch and remains of a medieval arcade. High quality glass by Morris & Co.